- Is the content in your trash?
- Is the content in another user's trash?
- I'm still unable to recover my content- what next?
- I still can't find my files
Is the content in your trash?
Are you the owner or deleter of this content? When a file is deleted, both the person who deleted the item and the primary owner of the item will be able to retrieve it from their trash. The Trash is located in the account dropdown menu in the top right corner of the Box application. You can also review this article for more details on this process: How do I restore deleted content
Is the content in another user's trash?
If the files aren’t in your personal trash, they might be in the trash of the person who deleted or owned the files.
If you know who deleted or owned this content, please contact this user and instruct them to restore the files from their trash.
If you don’t know who deleted or owned this content and you have a Business/Enterprise account, you can ask your Box Admin to run a report to find out.
How does an Admin run a deleted items report?
- Who’s my Box Admin? You can find your admin by going here; their email address will appear under 'Admin Contact'. You’ll need to contact them directly.
- How can they help? Your Box Admin can run a report that details actions taken within the account, including deletions. They’ll follow these steps:
- Navigate to the Admin Console > Reports Tab here.
- Run a report for deleted, moved, and renamed items as seen below, leaving the ‘Groups’ field unselected. This will generate a report for all users in your enterprise. For the date range, run the report for when these files were last seen. A week or two is usually enough time for most deletions; keep in mind that longer date ranges will take longer to generate.
- Click the button ‘Export Report’. This allows you to access the desired information in an excel file. The exported report will appear in a folder within the Admin’s account called 'Box Reports'.
- Open the report locally, and search for the document in question.
- The report will contain many details surrounding the deleted content, including the person who deleted these files. Please contact this individual and ask them to restore the files from their trash. For Enterprise customers your admin might be able to login as this user and restore the content from this person's trash. See this article for more details.
I'm still unable to recover my content- what next?
If, after following these steps, you are still unable to access and recover your content, please submit a case with Box User Services and provide the following information to expedite your request:
- Email address of either the owner or deleter of these files
- Time and date (or an estimate) of when these files were deleted.
I still can't find my files
If you still can't find your files, then one of the following might be true:
- Was the folder a shared folder in which you collaborated with others? If so, the owner of the folder could have removed your access to the content. In this case you’ll need to contact the folder owner and ask to be reinvited.
- This person will need to re-invite you to the folder using the email address associated with your Box Account.
- The files in question have been already emptied from the trash. Trash content on Box can be manually or automatically removed, depending on the settings for your enterprise. If you believe this has happened, please contact Box User Services.
- The files you’re looking for were never uploaded to Box.com. The content in question could have been uploaded to a different Box account or service, or a problem might have occurred during the upload, resulting in these files not making it to your account as expected. If you're a Box Business or Enterprise user, your admin can run a report to validate or repudiate whether the files ever existed on Box, or not.