External Collaborator Admin Controls Overview and FAQs
Box recently introduced a new control that allows admins to restrict individual users in their enterprise from creating externally shared folders. This enhancement gives IT and admins powerful, granular control over what content is shared externally or kept within the company for added security.
How does the feature work?
- If an admin decides to restrict an individual user from adding external collaborators to their folders on Box, the restriction is placed on all content owned by that user.
- The setting applies to all folders they create – it does not prohibit the user from inviting external collaborators to non-restricted folders owned by other users.
Where is the feature found and how can it be applied?
- Instructions for enabling on a per-user basis:
- From the Users tab in the admin console, go to Select User > Edit User Access Permissions > Restrict external collaboration and check the box titled “Restrict external collaboration”
- Instructions for enabling the control for all new users moving forward:
- The setting can also be enabled as a default for all new users added to the enterprise from that day forward (note that it cannot be applied to all existing users). To enable, go to Enterprise Setting > User Settings > New User Defaults > Restrict external collaboration and check the box titled “Restrict external collaboration”
- Instructions for bulk enabling the control across multiple users:
- The setting can also be bulk enabled across multiple users. To bulk enable, go to Users > Bulk Edit > Download current CSV file > Edit the value under “Restrict external collaboration”
- Acceptable values under “Restrict external collaboration” are enable/disable and yes/no
- Enable and Yes will enable the restriction
- Disable and No will disable the restriction
- Case insensitive
- Must be in English
- Cannot be blank
What is the user experience once an admin enables this control for content they own?
- When the restriction is enabled for a user, the folder properties for any folders they own will have the check box “Restrict collaboration to within <company domain>” enabled, with no way for them to disable.
- If the user tries to add an external collaborator to a folder they own, those users will show up in red in the invite box and the user will be presented with a message telling the user their invites are restricted to within their company.
When an admin adds the restriction on a user, will it automatically remove existing external collaborators from folders they own?
- After the restriction is placed on a user, existing external collaborators in folders that user owns will not be removed automatically
- To remove existing external collaborators from restricted folders, the admin can go to Users > External Users > Click on an External User > Adjust their access level on restricted folders to None.
Does the external collaborator admin control also affect shared links?
- No, shared links will not be affected – a user with the restriction enabled will still be able to share content externally with shared links. The restriction only affects their ability to add an external collaborator on their content.