Box for BlackBerry 10 Overview and FAQs
Box recently announced Box for BlackBerry 10, one of the first business apps available on RIM’s new mobile computing platform. Preloaded on all BlackBerry 10 devices, Box for BlackBerry 10 helps you easily store, access and share Box content almost anywhere within the BlackBerry 10 experience.
Box for BlackBerry 10 includes being a core source within the File Manager, File Picker and Share Framework. Anywhere a user interacts with a file, they will have an opportunity to save or retrieve from their Box account. Because Box is an easily accessible source within BlackBerry 10, any application can read and write to a user’s Box account (i.e. you can easily launch a Word editor by touching a Word document within Box, very similar in concept to Box OneCloud).
When will Box for BlackBerry 10 be available?
- Box for BlackBerry 10 is available now (January 30, 2013) as a preloaded application on the BlackBerry 10 platform
How is Box for BlackBerry 10 similar to Box’s other native mobile apps?
- Similar to our iOS and Android native mobile apps, Box for BlackBerry 10 provides the ability to access and share content, as well as the ability to:
- Access, view, edit, share and manage files
- Upload multiple images, videos and files
- Invite colleagues to shared folders and leave comments on files for them
- Find content fast with search
- Manage your files and folders with batch move, copy and delete operations
What features are unique to Box for BlackBerry 10?
- Box for BlackBerry 10 takes advantage of built-in platform functionality to create a deeply integrated experience with the operating system that’s exclusive to BlackBerry 10. These features include:
- Integration into File Manager: Manage your Box account like any other storage source (local or cloud)
- Automatically back up pictures or videos: Feature is disabled by default but can be turned on within the Box app
- Integration into File Picker: Save to or select from your Box account when choosing where to store/pull files from
- Integration into BlackBerry Share Framework: Share your Box content with your BlackBerry 10 contacts your way – Twitter, email, BBM, etc.
- Box as a Source or Destination: Since Box is part of the BlackBerry 10 operating system, any application can use Box as a source or destination, without requiring a specifically built integration. Auto-launch an application simply by clicking on the file and the appropriate viewer will open.
- Save your content for offline viewing: The Box application allows you to “pin” a file or folder so that you can always access your content, even if you’re offline
What languages is Box for BlackBerry 10 available in?
- English (UK)
- Portugese (Brazil)
- Chinese (Simplified)
- Chinese (Traditional)
Does Box for BlackBerry 10 support SSO login?
- Box for BB10 does support SSO. To login using SSO, make sure you have the latest update to the app, enter your Box email address in the username field, and leave the password blank. Once you select authenticate you will be redirected to your company login page where you can login with your company credentials.
Does Box for BlackBerry 10 work with BlackBerry Balance?
- BlackBerry 10 has a concept of BlackBerry Balance – there is a ‘personal perimeter’ and a ‘work perimeter’. It requires a BlackBerry Enterprise Server and creates a safe zone where enterprise applications and data can be stored. In the future, BlackBerry 10 will ensure that only enterprise Box accounts can log in under the work perimeter and consumer Box accounts can only login under the personal perimeter.
Do Box for BlackBerry 10 users receive any type of promotion?
- To help users be more productive on their new devices, Box and RIM are teaming up to give 10GB Box accounts to users that sign up on their new BlackBerry 10 device
Who is qualified to receive a 10GB account? How does it work?
- Currently, the promotion is being offered to anyone who signs up for a new Box account
- To receive the 10GB account, visit www.box.com/bb10 and create a new account. Note that users creating a new account or logging in to an existing Box account from Box for BlackBerry 10 will not currently receive an upgrade to the 10GB of storage. This is expected to be added in the coming months – check back here for updates.
How long will I get the 10GB? Will my account get downgraded after the promotion?
- Once you get your 10GB account, you’ll never be downgraded; once you have it, the space is yours forever.
What if I already have a Box Personal account? Can I get the 10GB?
- Unfortunately, this promotion is only for new Box users
When does the offer end?
- The offer is available through December 31, 2013
If I already have a 50GB account from another promotion, do I get 10GB more of storage?
- We’re excited you’ve already taken advantage of one of our other promotions, but unfortunately the storage upgrade is one time only
I got the 10GB upgrade. Does that mean I only have the extra space on that device?
- Now that you have a 10GB Box account, you have access to that space from anywhere, on any device. It is not limited to your mobile device – access your 10GB of content from anywhere you use Box.
Where can I get additional information?