Box for LinkedIn Overview and FAQs
LinkedIn recently announced a new profile design that replaces its current inApps platform with a new method for viewing content like documents, presentations and videos from a profile page. As a result, the current Box inApp integration is no longer supported.
Part of the new design, LinkedIn has developed a new tool to let users showcase 3rd party portfolio-type content on their profiles. You can now choose individual Box files to display on your profile, making it quick and easy to share important content with visitors.
When would I use the Box for LinkedIn integration?
- By adding files from Box to a LinkedIn profile, you can share important content for profile visitors to view and download.
- Example use cases:
- Looking for a job? Share your resume or portfolio on your LinkedIn profile so your LinkedIn contacts have access.
- If you're recruiting, get your employees to spread job requisitions virally by posting them to their profile.
- Small business? Consultant? Freelancer? Post a one-pager or presentation that will get you hired.
- Are you a start-up? Post your company overview to get angels, VCs, potential employees and customers excited about what you're launching.
How do I add Box content on the new profiles?
- After opting in to the new profile type, you can easily add a specific Box file to display in the LinkedIn professional gallery
- To get started, copy and paste the file’s direct link in the LinkedIn professional gallery on the page
- Find the direct link by previewing the file as you normally would in Box, selecting File Options > Share > Get Link to File and then clicking on Direct Link to generate the URL
- Paste it directly in the LinkedIn professional gallery
- Repeat the same steps for other files you’d like to add to your profile
***Please note that our Direct Link functionality is only available to Business and Enterprise customers. Free users can simply copy and paste a Box shared link anywhere in their LinkedIn profile. Shared links will not automatically begin downloading, nor are they clickable, but will provide access via cut-and-paste into a web browser.
What types of files can be added?
- Currently, the LinkedIn professional gallery allows users to add and display .pdf, .ppt and some image files (.jpg, .gif and .png)
- Some common file types, such as .pptx, .doc, .tiff and .docx are not supported
- Please contact LinkedIn for a full list of supported file types