Do you and your colleagues need to work on a file together? Make sure that you signify your content is being worked on by using a file check-in/check-out feature called Lock File.
Note: When you lock a file, it will show a lock icon, but you will still be able to edit it. When someone else locks a file, you will see a different lock icon, and you will not be able to edit the file unless you unlock it.
From the Web Application
- To lock a file, click the drop-down menu next to the file and select Lock File. A lock icon to the left of the file's name will indicate that the file has been locked. If you use Box Sync, you will also see a lock icon over the file icon in your Box Sync folder.
- When locking a file, you can choose if you want others to be able to download the file while it’s locked or choose an expiration time for the lock on the file to end so that you do not need to unlock manually.
- Once you have finished your work, if you did not set an expiration time for the lock, simply click Unlock and other users will have the ability to edit. If you forget to do so, any other collaborator who has editing capabilities is also able to unlock the file.
From Your Desktop With Box Sync
You can also lock and unlock files directly from your desktop using Box Sync.
- To lock a file, right click on the name of the file in your Box Sync folder, navigate to Box Sync, and select Lock. A lock icon will appear over the file icon to indicate that the file has been locked.
- When you lock a file from your desktop, a lock icon indicating that the file is locked will also appear to the left of the file's name in the web application.
- Once you have finished your work, simply right click on the name of the locked file, navigate to Box Sync, and select Unlock. If you forget to do so, any other collaborator who has editing capabilities is also able to unlock the file.
If you need to concurrently edit a document, you can create a Box Note or Google Doc right from Box.
Is lock/unlock supported on mobile?
No, lock/unlock is not supported on mobile apps, and lock icons are not reflected.