Within the Groups tab in the admin console you can conveniently manage folder membership for sets of users, like departments, project teams, and your SOX compliance team.
Adding a Group
1. Click the Users and Groups button in the blue header bar and select the Groups tab.
2. Select Add New Group and enter the name for the group in the New Group Details section.
3. In the Access Level column, select the type of access to each folder the group should have. If the group shouldn’t be able to access a folder, leave the access level as none.
4. Last but not least, assign the appropriate users to the group. Just start typing their email addresses. When you’ve finished, click Create Group.
Figure 1: Group information can also be passed from your single-sign-on tool.
Editing a Group and Adding Users to Your SOX Compliance Team
To make changes to an existing group:
1. Click the Users and Groups tab in the blue header bar and select the Groups tab.
2. Right-click the group that needs editing, and then choose Edit Group:
Figure 2: Edit an existing group.
A new section will appear, where you can make changes to the group’s folders and members. This page is very similar to the Add New Group process.
Figure 10: Group admins can add an remove group members and run reports on the group.
3. Edit the access levels of your group members. If you’d like, you may designate a Group Admin to manage the folders and members of the group.
4. Click Save when you’re done. Be sure to audit the group members and their permissions on a regular basis (for example, quarterly).
Run Reports on Users and Activity
Your Box account is equipped with powerful yet simple reporting capabilities to help you meet compliance requirements. From the Reports tab you can run a variety of account-wide reports, including usage logs, file/user statistics and security audits.
To run a user report, click the Reports tab in the blue header bar. Switch to the tab for the type of report you need, enter the necessary date range and click Run Report.
Figure 4: If you want to graph and pivot data, export it to CSV
Your report will appear below the date range fields.
- Need more detailed, focused data? Just click on any blue-highlighted result to sort by that value.
- Want the report in spreadsheet form? Press Export Reports (also shown above), and it’ll go straight to a My Box Reports folder in your account. You can then export, refine and edit this data in Excel or another spreadsheet tool.
Using the Admin Console Files Tab
Use the Files tab in the admin console to easily search across the entire company to locate content and quickly view files owned by each user. Granular viewing options give you a new level of visibility and transparency that will make it easy to keep your business-critical content secure.
This admin visibility may be enabled for all admins and co-admins on your account. You can filter content by user, date range, file type and keyword.
Previous: SOX Folder Governance