If you have more than 100GB of data or 100,000 files to migrate to your Box account, you should consider using the Box Content Migration service. Although any Business or Enterprise can use the service, it is ideal for organizations with more than 100GB of data.
Here is more information to help you decide whether this solution is right for your content migration effort.
How does it work?
- Box ships you an encrypted external hard drive.
- You load the drive with your data and ship it back to Box.
- Box gives your admin a temporary password.
- Box processes the upload and notifies you when it’s complete.
How long does it take?
Upload speeds vary, but for every 500GB of data, expect a roughly 1-2 day turnaround time.
How much does it cost?
$1 per GB with a $500 minimum purchase
How do I get started?
Start by identifying how many gigabytes of content you need to upload into Box, then email your customer success manager or sales representative for further instructions.
What are the limitations?
- Do not zip or compress the files on the drive.
- No one folder can contain more than 10,000 files.
- File paths cannot exceed 256 characters (Windows limitation).
- No two folders within the same parent folder can have the same name.
- Folder names cannot start with a period or a space.
- Certain characters are restricted; see the complete list in the Rename Files and Folders section of this guide.
Will I have access to the account during the upload?
Yes. You will receive a temporary password and you are welcome to login while the content migration is in progress. However, you will not be able to move or copy any files or folders or conduct any bulk uploads until the content migration is complete. Do not move, copy or sync any files or folders that you have sent for migration.
Previous: Methods for Migrating Content to Box