Before you start syncing content to your computer, consider what you need to have offline. With the rise of solid-state storage and the growing popularity of using multiple devices, it’s not realistic to keep every file on hand at all times. As a best practice, sync only your current and active projects for offline use instead of trying to keep a local cache of all of your content. You should also consider what folders you will need to access while you are offline for an extended period of time.
Figure 1: Sync content you know you'll need when you are offline.
Create and Edit Content Directly in Box Using Native Applications
Box Edit is a free download that lets Windows and Mac users edit content directly on Box using the native applications installed on their computer. If you can edit it on your desktop – Excel, PowerPoint, Photoshop, Visio, you name it – you can edit it on Box.
With Box Edit, you can:
- Edit files quickly: Open a file directly from the preview page on Box, make edits instantly and save the new version back to Box automatically
- Forget about file types: PSD files, presentations, images, CAD drawings, Illustrator files – any file you can edit on your computer's desktop you can now edit without leaving Box
- Install once: Download and install Box Edit once and it'll work on all your browsers, including Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer (Windows) and Safari (Mac)
- Edit and access information without having to keep a local copy of your device
Figure 2: Box Edit uses the default application associated with the file type on your operating system.
Figure 3: Create new office content directly from Box using native applications.
Shared Links Instead of Attachments in Outlook and Office
Box for Office is a free add-on for Windows that helps you open Box files directly from Word, Excel and PowerPoint, then save them to the cloud. You can then share these files with colleagues using Box shared links, without ever leaving the Office programs you use the most.
With Box for Office, you can:
- Open a file already stored on Box, edit it locally and continue saving to the cloud
- Open a new or existing file locally in Word, PowerPoint or Excel, then save it directly to Box
- Grab a Box shared link and send a file to co-workers without leaving Office
This add-on is compatible with Microsoft Office versions 2007, 2010 and 2013 and is available to all Box PC users.
Integrate Box Content with the Desktop and Email with Tagle
Tagle is a document management platform that simplifies online content management for your desktop and email. Tagle brings your Box content into a sidebar on your desktop so it’s easier to search, edit and share. A 30-day trial is available for you to test the application.
With Tagle, you can do the following:
- Edit your Box files directly from your PC, just like a shared drive.
- Quickly upload files and folders to Box. Just drag and drop from Outlook or your desktop.
- Instantly find your Box content with Tagle's integrated search engine.
- Easily share your Box content. Just drag and drop directly into an email.