This document provides details on the Box Sync 4.0 installation process for both Mac and Windows.
Installing Box Sync 4.0
- Download the Box Sync Setup EXE file.
- Open the EXE file from the Windows folder and follow the installation instructions.
- Box Sync will start automatically once the installation is complete.
- Your synced files are stored in a new folder called Box Sync. You can access this folder from the Favorites section in the left pane of Windows Explorer. Alternately, right-click the Box Sync icon in the system tray (bottom right corner of your screen - near the clock) and click Open Sync Folder.
- Download the Box Sync Installer DMG file here.
- Open the DMG file from the Mac folder.
- Double-click on Box Sync.
- Your synced files are stored in a new folder called Box Sync. You can access this folder from the Favorites section in the left pane of your Finder window.
Using Box Sync 4.0
Once Box Sync 4.0 is installed, begin syncing your files and folders. To sync a folder from the Box website, follow this procedure:
- Click the More Options dropdown arrow for the required item.
- Select Sync Folder to Computer.
- Click the Sync Folder button to begin syncing this item to your computer.
Once a folder is synced in the Box website, you can add other files and folders to your local Box Sync folder and those additions are automatically synced back to the Box website.
Uninstalling Box Sync 4.0
Before uninstalling Box Sync, please be sure to quit the application from the menu in the task bar.
Please note: Following the below steps will delete content contained in the Box Sync folder. If you have content you would like backed up, consider copying the contents within Box Sync and saving them elsewhere on your hard drive.
- Uninstall Box Sync from the Control Panel.
- Delete the following folders (note that AppData is hidden by default):
- C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Box Sync\
- C:\Users\[username]\Box Sync\
- Delete Box Sync from your Applications folder.
- Delete the following folders (note that Library is hidden by default):
- Macintosh HD/Users/[username]/Library/Logs/Box/Box Sync/
- Macintosh HD/Users/[username]/Box Sync/
- Macintosh HD/Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/Box/Box Sync/
Manually Updating Box Sync
Deploying Box Sync
You can install Box Sync by downloading the install file from one of the following locations.
- Administrators can install the Box Sync DMG file for Mac users within their network.
- The deployment differs based on the bootstrapper installation. View the /Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/ directory to verify if the com.box.sync.bootstrapper bootstrapper is installed.
- If the bootstrapper is already installed in the user's system, the user can download and run the Box Sync DMG file at a later time without requiring administrator access.
- If the bootstrapper is not installed in the user's system, follow this process:
- Copy the application bundle to the desired install location on the user's machine.
- Copy the bootstrapper from the application bundle to /Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/.
- Ensure that the bootstrapped has the “setuid" permission, so that it can execute as “root”
sudo chmod u+s /Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/com.box.sync.bootstrapper
- Run the following command at the root level:
sudo <path to bundle>/Contents/Resources/com.box.sync.bootstrapper
- Each MSI requires a set of prerequisites to be installed (listed below).
- First install the prerequisites and then the corresponding MSI.
The following resources are available for the Box Sync 4.0: