This guide will take you for a quick spin around your account:
Watch the video below to learn skills that will get you started on Box fast!
To get started, just go to box.com and log in with your email and password– after you do, you’ll land on your All Files and Folders page.
Create a Folder
- Click the New button and select New Folder:
- In the pop-up window that appears, enter the folder name. Prefer a private folder? Select Keep Private For Now. To create a folder where you’ll collaborate with others, pick Invite People to Upload or Download Files:
To create sub-level folders, just click the top-level folder to open it, and repeat the steps above.
Once you invite collaborators, you’ll notice that the folder changes from manila to blue – blue folders are collaboration folders, where manila ones are private.
Uploading Files to Your Folder
There are several ways to get your files up to Box:
- Standard Upload Files
- Upload Folders
- Drag and Drop
- Email Files to Folder
For individual documents, use the standard upload by clicking Upload at the top of the folder page, then Upload Files:
Invite Collaborators to Your Content
Collaboration in Box works at the folder level: You’ll invite contacts to join one or more of your folders as collaborators, with the appropriate permission level. Collaborators can only access content in folders they have been invited to.
To start, just open your folder and click the "Invite People" button on the right side of page:
Enter your collaborators’ email addresses and the access levels, then click Invite. You will see their name appear listed under Collaborators on the right hand side.
Sending Shared Links
To share content with someone who does not have a Box account or only needs view files or folders, you can send them a Shared Link.
- To the right of the file or folder, select the "Share" button
- In the new section, you’ll see a secure link to the file that lets the recipient view and download it
- Next to the link, you will see a gear wheel icon where you can choose advanced settings and restrictions.
- Either copy the link or send an email notification directly by clicking on the gear icon > email.
Using Comments and Tasks
Now that you have invited collaborators, you can work together on your content through comments and tasks.
- Example: Instead of sending your coworker an email asking for feedback on a file, create a task for them to organize and track your project in Box.
Click the talk bubble next to the file > select Assign Task and @mention your collaborator.
- Include what you need taken care of, and assign it to your collaborator. You can even set a due date or add comments if necessary. Don’t forget to click Add:
Use the Comments feature to keep conversations about the file tidied up next to that content and out of email.
- To add a comment that’ll be visible to your collaborators, click the talk bubble and select Comment and click Add: