The development team at Box has completely rebuilt Box Sync from the ground up. The new application, Box Sync 4.0, is now publicly available.
Box Sync 4.0 has a new, efficient, sync algorithm that is built to scale, providing users with better performance and more reliability. Key features such as subfolder sync, reduced CPU usage, and root-level file syncing are briefly explained below.
New Sync Features
- Subfolder sync – Selectively sync any folder or subfolder on Box. See How do I Sync Subfolders in Sync 4? for more information.
- Upload on save – Upload files directly to Box when you save them, rather than when you close each document, thus speeding up collaboration.
- Root level file syncing – Drag files into your local Box Sync folder and sync them to the All Files and Folders root folder on the Box website.
- Share links –Share quickly with a simple right-click from your desktop files or folders.
Improved Performance and Reliability
- New, efficient sync algorithm – Uses less memory and consumes less CPU power.
- Scalability – Syncs much more content than before. You can now sync 100,000 files.
- Notification when files can’t be synced – Provides detailed user notifications if a file cannot be synced. The interface lists the file, a description of the issue, and a link to a support article along with potential remedies.
- Special characters in file names – Supports most special characters in file names.
- Long file paths – Supports file paths longer than the normal 256-character limit on Windows.
- Send logs directly to Box support – Uploads your logs directly from the Sync interface to the Box support team if you run into an issue.
Enterprise Deployment Enhancements
- Silent automatic updates – Seamless, automatic updates ensure that you are always running the latest version of Box Sync. Updates occur in the background and users are automatically updated to the next release.
- Enterprise deployable installer – Enterprises can install Box Sync using MSI on Windows and DMG on Macs