This article provides details on the m.box.com mobile site. The m.box.com site allows you the flexibility of accessing your mobile content without downloading the Box mobile application (app).
- What is m.box.com?
- What are the features supported by m.box.com?
- Is the m.box.com UI the same as the Box native mobile app UI?
- Is m.box.com only available from any browser?
- How do I open shared links in other applications?
- How do Box shared links work if I have installed multiple Box mobile apps?
- What happens to shared links if I have multiple Box apps installed?
- Can I enable 2-factor and SSO authentication from m.box.com?
- Can I disable m.box.com access for my enterprise?
- What are the limitations and known issues for m.box.com?
What is m.box.com?
With m.box.com, Box provides mobile access to all of your content without downloading the Box mobile app.
What are the features supported by m.box.com?
The m.box.com mobile site is a streamlined version of the Box web app and supports the following features:
- Document viewing and navigation:
- Document preview experience using HTML5 document preview.
- Intuitive navigation - folders and files appear in a list and are easy to use as they are optimized for mobile devices.
- M.box.com is optimized for speed and is built for high-latency networks used by mobile users.
- Box has reduced the access size for this app by removing substantially the JS and CSS dependencies.
- Folder management (via the + icon):
- The + icon allows you to perform the following folder management tasks:
- Create a new folder at the root level or within the current folder.
- Upload items directly to the current folder.
- Upload items to the current folder via email attachment. (Selecting 'Upload via Email' will provide a specified email address for sending.)
- The ellipses icon gives you the ability to rename or delete the current folder.
- Collaboration and sharing:
- Add and manage collaborators at any access level. The person (Collaborator) icon allows you to add or view collaborators:
- Shared link support is similar to how the Box mobile app works. The link icon allows you to share a link for the current folder.
- If sharing is enabled, the shared link is displayed (along with the settings icon to change the shared link type).
- If sharing is not enabled, tap the Enable button to share links.
- Your default email client is used to share links.
- Accessibility: Built for accessibility from the ground up.
Is the m.box.com UI the same as the Box native mobile app UI?
The m.box.com UI is aligned with the Box native mobile app, and is designed to have the same general layout and visual design.
The mobile browser version of the m.box.com UI is displayed in the following image:
The desktop browser version of the m.box.com UI is displayed in the following image:
Is m.box.com available from any browser?
Yes, you can access the m.box.com mobile site from any browser, including a browser that does not have JS and CSS enabled.
How do I open shared links in other applications?
- Is the shared link open or restricted?
- Are you logged into Box?
- Have you been granted permission to view this shared link?
- Has your company disabled mobile web browsing?
- Other factors
How do Box shared links work if I have installed multiple Box mobile apps?
- Open the file in the Box native mobile app
- Go to the device OS's app store to download the Box native mobile app
- Stay in the mobile browser to view the document
What happens to shared links if I have multiple Box applications installed?
This answer differs based on the mobile device:
- iOS Devices: If the shared link cannot be opened in one Box application, Box prompts you to attempt opening the file in another installed Box application.
- Android Devices: When you select Open in app from the banner, the Android OS displays a list of available Box apps, if any, and allows you to select the app with which you would like to open this file.
Can I enable 2-factor and SSO authentication for m.box.com?
Can I disable m.box.com access for my enterprise?
Yes, enterprise administrators can disable m.box.com access by disabling its API key in the Box Admin Console.
What are the limitations and known issues for m.box.com?
- You can open and view existing Box Notes on m.box.com. However, you cannot create a Box Note.)
- Box Sync