Effective June 2014, we improved our sharing and collaboration tasks on multiple fronts. Box made these changes to ensure scalability, maintain security, and provide an excellent customer experience.
This article provides an overview of these changes.
- Sidebar Changes
- Collaborated Groups
- Folder-Level Collaborators
- Collaborator Count
- Pending Collaborators
- Simplified Shared Links
- Other References
See the following images to view what changed (Before and Now images) in our Collaborators Sidebar. Each numbered circle in this image is explained below:
- The email icon replaces the Mail all link.
- Identify the access level by viewing the Collaborator sidebar -- you no longer need to scroll over each name to pop-up the access level for each collaborator.
- To change access levels, click the current access level and select the new access level from the dropdown list.
- To remove this collaborator from this folder, click the current access level and select Remove from the dropdown list.
- Each collaborator (users, groups and pending collaborators) is displayed in each row in the sidebar. Groups are indicated by a special group icon.
- Click the profile picture to view additional profile details (when you scroll over each picture, a tool tip informs you to Click to view profile).
- If the collaborator accepted the invitation, then other users can view the collaborator's profile.
- If the collaborator's acceptance is pending, the tool tip displays this status (as Invited) and Box does not allow other users to view the collaborator's profile.
Each group is displayed in a row in the sidebar along with the group icon. Each numbered circled in this image is explained below:
- See the Acme PMs group in the following example:
- To view all group members, click View All next to the ellipsis icon. The Folder Collaborators pop-up displays all collaborators in the parent folder.
- Click the Acme PMs group in this pop-up, the Folder Collaborators pop-up displays all users in this group along with the following information:
- The group name.
- The name of the folder the group was invited to join (Box Reports in the above image).
- A list of all members in this group.
- The role of the group in the folder.
See Inviting Groups to Folders for additional information.
You can easily delineate between the collaborators at the parent folder level and the collaborators at the current folder (IN THIS FOLDER ONLY) level. See the following images:To view the collaborators with access to the current folder, click View All (in the IN THIS FOLDER ONLY section). The pop-up displays all collaborators in the current folder.
Alternately click More... > Properties > Collaborators. The pop-up displays all collaborators in the parent folder. To only see the collaborators in the current folder, click the In This Folder Only tab.
The Folder Collaborators pop-up displays all collaborators in the current folder. This list allows you scroll through the end.
Individual files, users, and groups are identified in the File view. See the Before and Now images below:The numbers identified by the circle in the Now image are explained here:
- The first number (13878) and icon represents the number of files in the subfolder.
- The second number (18) and icon represents the number of user collaborators in the folder. If there are no user collaborators, this icon and number does not appear.
- The third number (4) and icon represents the number of more group collaborators in the folder. If there are no group collaborators, this icon and number does not appear.
The numbers identified by the circle in the Now image above reflects the same count identified in the Files view.
You can also see the IN THIS FOLDER ONLY section in the Now image above.
The pending collaborators are now displayed in the Folder Collaborators pop-up as identified in the Before and Now images below:
When you click View All in the Collaborators sidebar to access the Folder Collaborators pop-up, the following actions related to pending collaborators become available to you:
- View all pending collaborators (identified by the Invited link).
- Remove or resend the link to pending collaborators (by clicking the Invited link).
Simplified Shared Links
The shared links section is much simpler and easy to navigate, see the Before and After images below:
- The shared link is visibly displayed in the Collaborator sidebar.
- The access permissions for this link is displayed below the link.
- Click the required link to change the permission.
- Click the Remove Link to remove the link for this folder.
- The Your Company link is only available for files owned by enterprise users.
- All other settings for this link are available in the Advanced Settings gear icon.
Each setting has its own field:
- To view the Link, change the Access settings, and set a Custom URL or Link expiration date, click the Share tab.
- To invite collaborators, click the Email tab.
- To embed a Box document in another website, click the Embed tab and follow the instructions provided in the Can I Embed a Box Folder in my Website? article.