As a Box Business or Enterprise Admin, you’ve got the world of Google Apps right at your fingertips – right in Box. Read on to see how to integrate your Google Apps account with your Box account in a few quick steps.
Download Google Documents for Offline Use
First, you’ll need to download copies of your files from Google Drive to your local hard drive (or external drive) to prepare for the upload to Box. (Note: Google limits these exports to 2GB at a time.) The files will be converted to non-Google formats during the export, but you’ll still be able to edit them in the Google Docs online editor.
Here’s how to download from Google:
- In your Google Drive account, click a file. To select multiple files, press Ctrl and then click each file you want to download.
- Right-mouse click the selected file and select Download. Google Drive downloads the file to your computer's Downloads folder. If downloading multiple files, Google Drive downloads the files as a single zipped file.
Upload Exported Content to Box
Your exported content is now located on your local or external drive. To get the content to Box, simply unzip the folder, then upload the content to Box with the Upload tool.
Here's how to upload to Box:
- If you downloaded multiple files as a zipped file:
- In your computer's file finder, open your local Downloads folder.
- Right-mouse click the zipped file and select Extract All.
- In your Box account, open the folder into which you want to upload the file.
- In the top-right corner of the Box window, click Upload and select File. Box opens a file finder.
- In the file finder, open your computer's Downloads folder.
- Click the file you want to upload. To select multiple files, press Ctrl and click each file.
- In the bottom of the file finder, click Open. Box adds the file or files to your desired folder in Box.
Edit Exported Content in Box
Now that your files are living in Box, you can download them to make edits from your desktop, or make your changes right from Box with the Edit with Google Docs option, available by default to all account types. To access the option, just right-click on the file you need to edit and click Edit with Google Docs.
Bypass File Conversion with Box Shuttle
With the download method described above, Google file formats such as GDocs, GSheets, and GSlides convert to an alternative file format during download. You can avoid this step by using our Box Shuttle service to migrate your content. Learn more on our Box Shuttle page.