As unmanaged users present a security and compliance risk, it’s important when you have identified them that you “convert” them to managed user status. That way they immediately become subject to your organization’s risk reduction policies.
You may find as you do this, however, that some of your unmanaged users signed onto Box with email domains you do not control – for example, domains unaffiliated with your enterprise. In this case, you may wish to remove these domains altogether.
Converting Unmanaged Users
Converting unmanaged users into managed users is a simple and straightforward process. Removing a registered email domain, however, requires the assistance of Box support.
To convert unmanaged users
- Export a User Details report just for unmanaged users.
- If your report does not include an unmanaged user option, please contact your Box Customer Service Manager to request this option.
- Save the report.
- From your Admin Console, navigate to Users & Groups > Managed Users
- Click Bulk Add.
- At the prompt, copy and paste the daya from the User Details report you just ran.
- The system recognizes these users as already having email addresses associated with Box. It displays a prompt asking wether you wish to invite them to join Box. Click Invite.
Box now notifies each user both by email and by Box account message, indicating they've been invited to join your Box enterprise account. When they click Accept Invitation, Box automatically adds them to your roster of managed users.
When you convert your unmanaged users, there is no interruption or change to their work, content, or Box experience. They do receive an automated message “inviting” them to join Box. This may be confusing, as they are already using Box accounts. We recommend you send a note to your unmanaged users in advance, alerting them to expect this invitation and suggesting they accept it.
Removing email domains
Because of the sensitive nature of this procedure, and to ensure domains are not removed in haste, the process for removing requires the involvement of Box Support.
To remove an unwanted domain
- Look up claimed email domains. To do this, from the Admin Console, and navigate to Account & Billing > Domains.
- Identify the email domains you with to remove from your Box enterprise.
- Open a support ticket and make a specific request to remove the domains you do not want.
- In Box, email domains are not synonymous with subdomains. You can remove or modify subdomains on your own. To do this, from the Admin Console navigate to Enterprise Settings > Custom Subdomain.
- You can also add a user's email address as a secondary email address.