Enabling the Box File Picker
After your organization’s Slack admin enables the Box File Picker, you must install it for your account. To do this:
- Log in to your Slack account with your Slack credentials.
- Go to the Box entry in the Slack app store and click Sign in to Install.
- Click Continue.
- Log on to Box and follow the prompts. When prompted to grant Slack access to your Box files, click OK.
Using the Box File Picker to send Box files to individuals via Slack
Using Slack to send shared links to files stored in Box works similarly to attaching files from your local machine.
- In the bottom left-hand corner of the Slack message, click "+". Slack displays a search window.
- In the Search shortcuts field, type "Box".
- Click Add from Box. If applicable, login to the Box File Picker application. Box displays the File Picker repository in a separate window.
- Browse for and click the file you want.
- Optional: change the Shared Link permission level of the file
- In the lower-righthand corner of the window, click the check mark.
- The URL of the file displays in the Slack message box
- Send the message as you normally would in Slack.
- A thumbnail image of the attached file’s first page displays if your organization has enabled this feature.
- A generic file type icon displays if your organization has not enabled the thumbnail feature.
- If you are sending the file link to a Slack channel, everyone in the channel can see what you see (that is, the thumbnail if enabled or the generic icon if not).
- To share files in Slack with Box File Picker, you need to have Co-owner, Editor, or Viewer Uploader permission level. This integration is not supported for files for which you have a lower permission level.