- Standard tools
- Advanced tools
- Source systems
- Permissions mapping
- Content ownership
- File-level metadata
- Version history
- Content migration services
Box Shuttle tooling is a self-service technology that allows you to migrate data from source tools that are prevalent for many organizations. Box Shuttle provides standard and advanced migration tooling to handle your migration needs.
Standard tools are similar in structure to Box and thus require less data transformation to migrate.
Box Shuttle standard tooling is a great fit for you if:
- you have content in one of the supported source systems
- your source content permissions don't require rethinking
- you don't need to make changes to your folder structure
- you don't have complex or custom metadata requirements
- you have internal resources who can execute the content migration
Advanced tools are quite different structurally from Box. Nonetheless, Box Shuttle helps you execute migrations with ease by providing step-by-step instructions and decision points that are customized to the source tool you are working with.
You might consider Shuttle advanced tooling if:
- you have more than 10 TB of content to migrate
- you have a source system not supported by standard tooling
With Box Shuttle standard and tooling, centralize your content from different on-premises and cloud sharing tools into the Box Content Cloud, where you can take advantage of our full set of security, collaboration, and integration features.
For details on how to set up source systems, see Source system configuration and authorization.
Standard source systems
|On-premises storage||Cloud sharing tools|
Advanced source systems
|On-premises storage||Cloud sharing tools||Bulk cloud storage|
Box has a waterfall permissions model. One of the challenges with migrations to Box is reconciling permissions in other systems that conflict with waterfall permissions. Box Shuttle is purpose built to migrate from these source systems into Box and can help resolve any potential discrepancies between the two permissions models. Box Shuttle will provide you with simple decision points to understand what you want to do with these discrepancies, including:
- Expand permissions: This option will open up sub-folders and content to users who have existing permissions farther up in the folder structure. This is a good option when permissions in the source tool have been more ad-hoc and there's not a lot of sensitive data contained within the waterfall.
- Restrict permissions: This option will remove users who have permissions higher in the folder structure but do not have permissions for content or folders lower in the folder structure. This is a good option when the migration includes sensitive data and you need to ensure that content is not exposed to those who are not intended to have access
- Skip files that have conflicts: If you'd prefer to reorganize content on the source tool, rather than apply a blanket decision to all content in this migration, you can have Box Shuttle skip these files and come back to them at a future delta sync.
Box Shuttle allows you to map content ownership from owners in your source system to provisioned users and groups in Box. Box Shuttle matches and suggests mappings based on the unique email addresses in each system, but you are able to modify this mapping. Additionally, you can remap content between users, which may be helpful when you have content owned by former employees or groups that needs to be reassigned in Box.
Box Shuttle tooling automatically brings over standard, file-level metadata such as file created date and last modified date. This does not include custom metadata. To apply custom data, like retention date, contract type, or other fields that are unique to your content use cases, contact content migration services.
Box Shuttle tooling allows you to decide whether to migrate content version history as part of your migration. In most cases, it's desirable to migrate version history. Box business plans (Business, Business Plus, Enterprise, and Enterprise Plus) allow for the maintenance of 50+ version histories for any given piece of content.
Content migration services
If you're moving from one of the content management systems that Box Shuttle tooling can connect to, you can leverage our Box Shuttle managed migration services to execute your project.
With Box Shuttle managed services, you get to work alongside content management experts from Box Consulting to ensure successful migration outcomes including user adoption of new technologies. Services provided include:
- Project planning services, including timelines, milestones, etc.
- Technical services, including permissions remapping, folder structure design, custom metadata mapping, etc.
- Change management services, including internal communications strategy and customized end user training