We are excited to be working with Apple to integrate Box into their new Files app available on iOS 11. However, there are a few limitations we would like you to know about.
- Passcode Support - Organizations who require a passcode on the Box mobile application will not be able to use the Files app integration. This is because there is currently no way to enforce passcode rules on the Files app.
- Maximum Folder Listing - Currently there appears to be a maximum of 10,000 items listed in a folder. This is still under exploration with Apple.
- Apple Tag Support - Users will not be able to apply Apple tags on Box content from within the Files app. This will be introduced in a later app release, however the tags may not be visible from the Box web application.
- Favorite Folders - Users can currently only favorite folders. This is an Apple limitation.
- Recent Items - Box recents are represented in the Files app's recents section. In the Box app and Box web app, previewing files makes them Recents, however in the Files app previewing the file does not make it more Recent. In the Files app, editing a file makes it Recent, and opening it into another app (out of the Files app) also makes it Recent even if the file is not edited.
- File Type Limitations - Box Notes, DICOM, and other Box specific file types do not render in the Files app.
Note: If the Admin Settings "Open files in external applications" is disabled, users will not be able to use the Files app integration.
If you have questions about these limitations or any workarounds, please contact Box User Services and we will be happy to help.