Access and permission
First, you must be a primary Box admin in order to configure Skills on your account. If you are not the primary Box admin, and you expect to be administering Box Skills, please contact the primary Box admin for your enterprise.
Custom Skills are Skills customers can create specifically for their enterprise instance of Box. To learn more about creating Custom Skills, see the Related Links section below for links to our developer documentation.
To enable a Custom Skill for your users:
- Open your Admin Console.
- To direct to the Skills page, you must enter a custom URL: https://app.box.com/master /
skills (i.e., append the Admin Console url with "/skills" and hit enter). The Skills Admin Console page opens.
- If you were participating in the Box Basic Skills beta program, this page displays options for any Box Skills that may already be enabled for your enterprise.
- Click Add Skill. A dialogue box opens.
- Type in the API Key for your Custom Skill.
- The developer who creates the Custom Skill can obtain the API Key in the Box Developer Console. For more details, see the Related Links section, below.
- Click Next. The Select Folders for Whitelist page displays.
- You can define on which folders a Custom Skill can operate. There are two options:
- All content in your company authorizes the Skill at the root folder, meaning a file uploaded to any folder is processed by the Custom Skill.
- Select a whitelist of folders enables you to select a specific folder (or folders) on which the Skill operates.
- In this guide, we’ll enable a Custom Skill on a specific folder. Click Select a whitelist of folders and click Next. The Select Folders for Whitelist screen displays.
- Click Select Folders. This opens a modal window that enables you to search for folders. You can search for folders based on:
- the person who owns the content
- the folder name
- When you find the folder(s) you want, check the check box to the right of the folder icon.
- Click Choose Your list of selected folders displays.
- When you select a folder, the Skill applies to all sub-folders as well.
- When you have selected all the folders you want, click Next.
- Click Enable Skill A “terms and agreements” box displays.
- Accept the terms and agreements. The main Skills page redisplays, and each active Skill displays a green check mark in its top left corner.
- From here you can navigate to see which Skills have been provisioned. There is a limit of 10 Box Skills enabled at any one time in a single enterprise instance of Box.
- You can also click View Details to see more information about each configuration.
- You can also add or remove folders to which the Skill applies, or completely disable a Skill. If you disable a Skill, Skills won’t process any more files you add to this folder. However, files that Skills have already analyzed retain their metadata. You can reapply a Skill to a folder at any time, although, again, content added to a folder before a Skill is applied to it is not analyzed.