- iOS Safari and Chrome
- Android Chrome
- You can open and view existing Box Notes on mobile browsers.
- : Box Notes is supported on and higher.
- Box Notes is not supported in Internet Explorer 7/8/9: Customers using IE7, IE8, or IE9 will not be able to access Box Notes and will see a Browser not supported message. We recommend using another supported browser. See our .
- Creating a new Box Note is recorded as Created or Uploaded.
- Viewing a Box Note may be recorded with File Opened and may sometimes be accompanied by a Download.
- Edits (and annotations) made to a Box Note are recorded as Uploaded. For edits (Uploaded), the user recorded for the upload is made every 30 seconds; see the Version Behavior section below for details.
- Deletes of Box Notes are recorded normally as action Trash.
- Maximum number of people editing a note at the same time: 30
- Once the limit is reached, any new users will see a snapshot/read only view of the note
- Recommended maximum content:
- 200 pages of text (about 500,000 characters)
- 100 items in a list
- Images up to 20 MB
- If these limits are exceeded, the product may act unexpectedly, including lag while typing or browser tab crashes.
- Shared links to Box Notes that have the "Require Password" option set or that are in folders that have the "Require Password" option set are not supported at this time. In this case, the Box Note will not load.
- Box Notes cannot be used in folders that have the Hide Collaborators security property set.
- If an admin has the "Restrict content creation" enterprise setting turned on, the new Box Note button will be disabled because Box Notes creates new notes inside a folder at the first-level.
- Table object is not editable in Box for Android.
- In Full Width Mode, tables will always be full width. To narrow the table, you must narrow the first column.
- Copying images from third-party sites to a Box Note is note supported.
Can you change the location of where newly-created notes are stored?
Yes, you can change the default save location for new Notes. To do this, open any existing Box Note. In the lefthand navigation, at the bottom, click the gear icon. From the menu that displays, click Change Default Save Location.
The Select a Default Save Location window opens. Navigate to the folder you want, click its corresponding circle, and then click Save. Or, to save your Notes in a new folder, click New Folder, type in a folder name, and then click Create.
How do I get to the parent folder of a note?
You can click on the name of the parent folder in the left-hand sidebar notes list, in the row of the note. You can also click on the 'More options' menu (looks like 3 dots on the right-hand corner) to also get to the parent folder.
What does a company need to consider to ensure it works within their firewall?
We suggest ensuring these URLs are allowlisted: Configuring a Firewall for Box Applications
What constitutes a 'recent' note? What factors / date range make a note display in the new sidebar?
When you create or open a note, it is added to your recents list. We display the 1000 most recent notes.
See license information for software used by Box Notes.