With the Box for Microsoft Teams integration, you can use the content you have in Box through the familiar interface of Microsoft Teams. Share and access content stored in Box directly from within Microsoft Teams – without flipping back and forth between programs. This saves you time, streamlines administration, and facilitates team collaboration. Perhaps more importantly, it also enables Box to be your common content layer in Teams, as it gives you the option to use Box as a content layer across all Teams, Channels, and Chats.
Finally, content doesn’t have to originate in Box to be shared via this integration. For example, files on your local machine are automatically uploaded into a secure Box folder when you share them via Teams. They are not sent to native content stores such as OneDrive and SharePoint.
Adding the integration to your account
When you first log onto your Teams account after your Box admin enables the integration, one of the following happens:
- If a Team member has already installed the Box for Teams integration, you receive the following:
- a welcome message explaining basic functionality
- a Box icon in your message extension tray for upload / sharing of files
- a Box Files tab for access to all content associated with the specific Team Channel to which you belong.
- If a Team member has not already installed the integration directly to your Teams and Channel:
- in the bottom tray icon you must click the ellipsis (…) to view the application icons, and then click Box.
- When you click Box, Box prompts you to sign in.
Also, when you use the integration for the first time – either via the Box Files tab or by using Teams to share or upload content – the system prompts you to sign into Box and grant Microsoft access to your account.
After you sign in and grant access:
- you can access content that has already been shared in this channel
- Box automatically creates two new folders you can view in the Box Web app:
- Microsoft Teams Chat Files
- Microsoft Teams Folder
These Teams folders persist in your Box Web app, regardless of whether you’re signed in.
To sign out of the Box integration, right-click the Box icon and click Settings. Then sign out.