Note: Automations are available to all Enterprise customers and above. Policies are only available to customers who have purchased the Governance package.
Box Automations transitions to Box Relay Lite.
Box released a re-architected and significantly enhanced Box Relay in June, 2019. A free, limited-functionality version called Relay Lite is available for all Business Plus customers. We are migrating existing Automations customers to Relay Lite automatically, including all their Automations data, in 2020. There will be no charge for this. But we encourage you to consider upgrading to the new Relay, which is more powerful and includes a much larger range of trigger and output events, including files, folders, tasks, metadata, and more.
For more on this transition, plus details on Relay Lite, please refer to the Relay Lite Overview page in the Box Community.
The following are certain conditions that might impact your organization's set Policies and Automation:
- Download activity policies will not be triggered by downloads made through the Box Sync client
Upload policies will be triggered when Box Notes are created or edited.
- Files that have violated one of your policies may not be caught before they are downloaded to another user’s computer by the Box Sync client and cannot be deleted by Box Sync if they have been downloaded
- There is a limit of 10 rules for each policy and a limit of 500 policies for each Enterprise
- Policies regarding content within a file apply only to the following file types (more file types are being added progressively):
csv, tsv, doc, dot, docx, gsheet, htm, html, msg, odt, odp, ods, pdf, ppt, pptx, rtf, xhtml, xls, xlsm, xlsx, xml, xsd, xsl, xslt, xhtml, as, as3, asm, bat, c, cc, cmake, cpp, cs, css, cxx, diff, erb, groovy, h, haml, hh, java, js, less, m, make, ml, mm, php, pl, plist, properties, py, rb, sass, scala, script, scm, sml, sql, sh, txt, vi, vim, yaml
- Our Policies and Automations engine scans only the first 500 MB of a document's extracted text for flagged content.
- Given a particular feature in our API handling, a very small number of files may not have Policy or Automation actions applied to them (this is a very minor edge case and should not affect the majority of files that have Policies or Automations applied to them)