The Platform Activity Report enables you to monitor on demand your organization’s consumption of platform resources. Using this report can help you:
- Verify resource consumption for yourself, saving you the time and hassle of reaching out for support from anyone at Box
- Figure out more precisely how your your organization is adopting Box and how your users are integrating it into their daily work routines
- Determine the growth or success of any applications your organization may have built on the Box platform
- Ascertain the overall value your Box investment is returning
- Identify your most highly-consumed integrations
- See how many custom apps are being built
The report aggregates resources from third-party integrations (such as Slack or Salesforce), and from any custom applications your organization may have developed. Providing this information increases transparency and enables you to understand how you’re using the Box ecosystem.
Platform activity within the last 48 hours will not be included.
Understanding Platform Activity Report Data
The report displays your organization’s resource usage based on API calls. Each time someone uploads, downloads, modifies, or accesses a file, they generate an API call.
For technical details on how Box executes API calls, go to developer.box.com.
The report provides a range of data:
- API Calls measures the total number of API calls per day, including authorization requests and errors, for all users. API Calls displays totals for the whole enterprise, per app.
- Monthly Active Users (MAU) provides a total of the number of active platform users (app users+service accounts) in your enterprise per calendar month. Box defines a "user" as any app user or service account who makes an API call within the reporting window.
MAU is an aggregate daily total, retroactive to the beginning of each month, and each month resets to 0. Here's an example: There are 100 active users on Monday, 100 on Tuesday, and 100 on Wednesday. On Tuesday, it reports on your Monday total, so MAU = 100. On Wednesday, it adds the Monday and Tuesday totals, and that sum is the value for both days, so MAU = 200. On Thursday, it totals up your active users for all three days, so MAU = 300.
Finally, MAU is not broken out per individual application (Salesforce, Slack, a custom app, and so on).
- Storage measures content stored, in bytes, per app user or service account. Does not measure multiple versions of the same document; only counts the final version.
- Bandwidth measures the bandwidth, in bytes, used by the service account or user account associated with app.
- Chargeable indicates whether an application is chargeable. Chargeable apps typically are apps customers themselves have written to solve a problem unique to their installation. Customers pay specifically for these custom apps. Apps that are not chargeable are included in a customer's initial license of Box, along with a limited number of API calls.
Except for MAU, both reports also display usage broken out by application (Salesforce, Slack, Box Sync, any custom app, and so on). This helps you, for example, to examine resource consumption to see how quickly your people are adopting a new Box service, or measure how many API calls a custom app is making.
Platform Activity Report Details
- File format: comma-separated value (.csv) file
- Folder name format (each report run is placed in its own folder):
Platform Activity run on YYYY-MM-DD HH-MM-SS
- Filename and folder name time zone: Pacific Time (PT)
Platform Activity Report Data Columns
This section describes the data columns that are generated in Platform Activity reports.
- The date, in Pacific Time (PT), of the consumption of the Box platform resource.
The type of platform resource consumed. Values can be:
- API: The number of application programming interface calls made on the date.
- Bandwidth: The amount of network resources used on the date by the application, in bytes.
- MAU: Stands for Monthly Active Users and provides a total of the number of active platform users (app users + service accounts) in your organization per calendar month.
- Storage: The amount of content stored on the date, in bytes. This value represents the size of only the most recent version of a file if the file has multiple versions.
- App ID
- The unique identifier of the application that used the resource.
- App Name
- The application that used the resource.
Whether or not the API call is chargeable and requires additional payment. Values can be:
- No: The API call was not chargeable because it refers to API calls coming from Box Partner Integrations, such as Box for Salesforce Managed Package, Microsoft Office Integration, Slack, and Splunk, or Box Native applications, such as Mobile and Drive. These applications will be represented by an entry in the Box App Center that clearly labels an application as non-chargeable, which Box reserves the right to update based on relationships with the builders of these applications. All API calls from these applications are included with a Box subscription as defined in a customer's agreement.
- Yes: The API call was chargeable because it refers to API calls coming from custom applications, scripts, and integrations leveraging the Box API, which is defined as any app that is non-Partner and non-Native as explained above. Actions may be represented by one or many API calls, but include all actions taken by these applications, including but not limited to authentication and any interaction with content, folders, users, or policies. These API calls may be made directly via the API from the SDKs or developers tools that Box provides. Chargeable API call volumes are defined by a customer's SKU and contract.
- If the value of Chargeable is Yes, the value of the consumption on the date.
Platform Activity Report Filters
This section describes the filters that you can configure to run Platform Activity reports.
- Date Range
The date range of platform activity. Select from:
- Last Week
- Last Month
- Last Year (default)
- Custom Range (and then select a start and/or end date)
Last week/month/year values mean the previous week/month/year from the date the report was run.
Defines which metrics will be included in the report. At least one must be selected; all four are selected by default. Select from one or more of:
- API Calls
- Monthly Active Users
See the Metric section in the Platform Activity Report Details section above for definitions of each of these metrics.
Defines whether to include chargeable, non-chargeable, or all (default) API calls in the report.
See the Chargeable section in the Platform Activity Report Details section above for definitions of each of these metrics.
- App ID
- Determines what app API calls are included in the report. Enter one or more App IDs in the field to limit the report to API calls for only the listed apps. Leave blank to include all APID calls in your organization.