- File editors will not get Content Insights if the folder-level setting Hide collaborators and their activity from non-owners is enabled. For more information on this setting, please review the article on Folder Settings. Also, Box displays the user names only for people from within your organization who open a shared link. For people from outside your organization, Box displays either their IP address (a set of numbers) or their location.
- If your admin enabled Restrict Content Creation, only the primary admin and co-admin can export Content Insights reports.
- Content Insights enables you to see activity in Box Notes, but because Box Notes cannot be downloaded, Content Insights always reports "0" downloads for Box Notes.
Understanding when "Someone" downloads your files
"Someone" is anyone who downloads a file from a shared link while not logged into Box. You receive these updates if you or one of your collaborators has enabled “Open Access” shared links to content you own or have access to.
"Someone" also displays if you're collaborating in a folder that has the "Hide collaborators and their activity from non-owners" option turned on.
For added security reporting, admins of Business and Enterprise accounts can track the IP addresses associated with each notification referencing "Someone" within the Admin Console.
Exporting Content Insights
In addition to viewing Content Insights, you can also generate an export for further analysis.
The ability to enot available to the following Box users:
- Personal and Personal pro users
- Non-admin users in enterprises that have enabled Restrict Content Creation.
Deleted user's information [Name and Email]
If you run a report for less than a one-year, the deleted user's information, including Name and Email, will not be available. These fields are shown as A prior collaborator. If you want a deleted user's information, you can run the 1+ year report, which will populate these fields with the name and email ID of deleted users.
- In your Box All Files window, open a file.
- At the top of the window, click the Content Insights icon. Box displays a summary of recent viewer activity.
- In the summary window, click See Details.
- In the Activity Log pane, click Export All Activity and select the filters you want to apply.
- Activity: By default, all event types will be included in the export, though you can choose to limit the export to specific event types.
- Users or Groups: You can optionally limit the export to only include activity performed by certain users or groups of users.
- Event Categories: A Content Insights report created for a duration less than one year will show limited categories of events, compared to the report exported for more than one year. The events will be limited to the events you see in the UI (Previews, Downloads, Edits, Comments).
- If you want all the events (Previews, Download, Edit, Comment, File Opened, Edited user) and you are an Admin, use the User Activity Report.
- If you want all the events (Previews, Download, Edit, Comment, File Opened, Edited user), and you are NOT an Admin, export a report for a duration of more than one year.
- Date Range: By default, the export will be limited to events in the past day, though you can choose to include events from a longer time period, including All Time or a custom date range.
- Once you’ve chosen your desired filters, click Create to generate the export. Box automatically uploads your exported report to the Box Reports folder in your account. (If this folder does not exist, Box automatically creates it before uploading your export.)