The folder settings page allows you to control the actions possible within a specific folder, and modify the default settings to better suit your needs. These folder settings are inherited by sub-folders, and cannot be 'undone' at a sub-folder level. Some settings can only be modified by folder owners and co-owners - check below for more details. To modify folder settings, right-click on a folder (or click the ellipsis (...) to open the More Options menu, then click Settings.
- Automated Actions
- Email Notifications
Collaboration (configurable by Owners and Co-Owners)
Note: These settings also apply to files in the folder whose settings you are modifying.
- Only folder owners and co-owners can send collaborator invites - If this box is checked, users with the access level of editor or below will not be able to invite collaborators into this folder.
- Restrict collaboration to within your enterprise - If this box is checked, only users within your enterprise will be able to join this folder as collaborators.
- Allow anyone who can access this folder from a shared link to join as a collaborator - If this box is checked, users who follow a shared link to this folder will be prompted to join as collaborators. You can select the access level that these users will be granted below.
- Disable commenting for this folder - If this box is checked, people cannot leave comments on content in this folder.
- Checking this box hides existing comments on content in this folder.
- Checking this box also prevents the addition of new comments. However, a comment creator can modify or delete existing comments. Any such modification or deletion remains hidden when this setting is enabled. When this setting is disabled, modified comments display.
Note: This setting is available only to Enterprise-level accounts.
Shared Link Access
- Only collaborators can access this folder via shared links - If this box is checked, only people who are already collaborators in the folder can access it via shared links.
Watermarking (configurable by Editors)
- Enable Watermarking for this folder - If this box is checked, content in this folder can be watermarked. Watermarking places a semi-transparent overlay of the current viewer's username and time of access across a document. Box Notes, video, audio, Flash, and 3D files are currently not supported.
Uploading (configurable by Editors)
- Allow uploads to this folder via email - If this box is checked, people can opt to upload content to this folder via email. Simply attach a file to an email, and send the to the email address generated.
Delete or Unshare
- Auto-delete this folder on a selected date - If this box is checked, this folder is automatically deleted on the date selected below. (Owners only)
- When a folder is auto-deleted, no notifications are sent to the owner or collaborators on the folder
- Unshare this folder on a selected date - If this box is checked, the shared link to this folder expire on the date selected below. (Owners and Co-Owners)
- Collaborators remain in the folder. However, the shared link expires.
- Note that this only applies to the particular folder to which the setting is applied - the setting does not impact shared links to files or sub-folders in the folder.
Email and Notifications (configurable by all collaborator types)
- Use my default notification settings - If this option is enabled, you receive notifications according to your notification preferences in your Account Settings.
- Override default settings for this folder and all subfolders - If this option is enabled, you can set custom notification preferences. To receive more or fewer notifications than usual for this folder and any subfolders, click check boxes under Notify me when someone.
Enable this option to access Disable all email notifications for all collaborators.
- Disable all email notifications for all collaborators - If this option is enabled, collaborators receive no emails about activity in this folder.
You can adjust email notifications at enterprise-wide, account-wide, and folder-specific levels.
- Enterprise-wide email notifications: When email notifications are applied in the Admin Console, this becomes the default for all newly created end users until the end user adjusts their settings.
- Individual account-wide email notifications: When email notifications are applied in Account Settings,, it becomes the default notification setting for all newly-created folders in the account OR for folders that are set to Use my default notification settings.
- End users in a Box instance can have different account wide settings by manually adjusting their email notification settings.
- Folder-specific level email notifications: When email notifications are applied in Folder Settings, it becomes the default email notification for all files in the folder and subfolders. Please note that you cannot trigger email notifications to yourself for actions you triggered.
- Different users collaborating in a folder can set their own specific folder-level email notifications (if allowed by the folder owner).