Legal Holds are available as a part of Box's Governance package. Use legal holds to place a hold on users and content related to a litigation or investigation. This hold prevents any content pertinent to the legal matter from being permanently deleted.
You can place legal holds on the following:
- A managed user in your enterprise
- The policy holds everything within your organization that person either has access to (owned or collaborated into) or has interacted with (including via shared link), optionally constrained by a selected date range.
- File (API only)
Custodian actions that trigger Legal Hold
- Download (including files downloaded via Box Sync and Box Edit)
- Upload (including files uploaded via Box Sync and Box Edit)
- File is edited
- Box Note is opened
- Item is sent to trash (if the folder is trashed, all items within the folder are held)
- File is moved or copied
Files subject to legal hold are not indicated with badges in file lists because some cases must be silent, meaning that there should be no badges or other indications that a file is subject to legal hold.
Learn more about creating and using Legal Holds
- Creating a Legal Hold in Box Governance
- Permissions Required to Administer Legal Holds
- Reporting on Legal Holds
- When a custodian leaves the company while part of a Legal Hold