Legal Holds are available as a part of Box's Governance package. Use legal holds to place a hold on users and content related to a litigation or investigation. This hold prevents any content pertinent to the legal matter from being permanently deleted.
You can place legal holds on the following:
- A managed user in your enterprise
- The policy holds everything that person either has access to (owned or collaborated) or has interacted with in the selected date range.
Custodian actions that trigger Legal Hold
- Download (including files downloaded via Box Sync and Box Edit)
- Upload (including files uploaded via Box Sync and Box Edit)
- File is edited
- Box Note is opened
- Item is sent to trash (if the folder is trashed, all items within the folder are held)
- File is moved or copied
Learn more about creating and using Legal Holds
- Creating a Legal Hold in Box Governance
- Permissions Required to Administer Legal Holds
- Reporting on Legal Holds
- When a custodian leaves the company while part of a Legal Hold