When a legal or regulatory matter results in a legal hold, it’s common for an organization to err on the side of preserving too much data, rather than too little. This can help ensure they avoid sanctions or further legal issues. But it’s also common that, as the matter progresses, these organizations get a more targeted understanding of their legal obligations with regard to preserving content. They can then release certain custodians from a particular legal hold policy – or add more custodians.
The Box custodian search enables these organizations to search for custodians of content. That means admins or co-admins can quickly and easily verify for legal or compliance departments whether one or more specific individuals are in fact custodians of content that is subject to legal hold.
To search for content custodians
- From your admin console, navigate to Governance > Legal Holds The list of currently active legal holds displays.
- Click the legal hold you want. The legal hold details page displays. Next to Users/Custodians, click View All to view a list of all custodians of content who this legal hold affects.
- You can easily find specific names in a long list. To do this, In the Find Custodians box, click the down arrow to display the Search All Users box. Begin typing in the user name of each person you want to verify is a custodian. The system displays an auto-filled list of individuals. Click the individual you want.
- To search for many names, paste in a list of email addresses. This can be from Excel or from a word processor, as long as each email address is on its own line.
- If a person for whom you searched does not display in the results, they are not a custodian of any content involved in this legal hold. You can add them. To do that, click Add Custodians and enter the requested information.
- If there are any individuals whose content is no longer under legal hold, click to highlight the row of the person you want, and toward the top right click Remove.
When you’re done, deliver the list of names your legal or compliance department requested in whatever format they desire.