The following are known limitations for Box Drive on Mac computers:
- Applications like 7zip are untested and may produce errors. We recommend using the native Archive Utility to extract files.
- Use of smart cards to authenticate logins is not supported.
Unsupported Mac Features
- Mac search tools, such as Spotlight, Finder search, tags , do not return search results from Box Drive. Use Box Drive's search functionality instead.
- Box Drive does not support Mac package files. If you attempt to upload a package file, you will receive the error "The Finder can't complete the operation because some data in the file can't be read or written (Error code -36)". Box Drive does support packages in File Provider Extension mode.
Known Mac Issues
- File thumbnails do not appear for files that have not been previously opened through Box Drive. Additionally, Finder's Quick Look does not work for files that have not been previously opened through Box Drive.
- After uninstalling a previous version of Drive and then installing the latest version, during your next login an unexpected notification is displayed.
- If icon overlays and/or the context menu are not visible in Box Drive, disable/re-enable Box Drive's Finder extension. To do this, go to System Preferences > Extensions > Finder, then clear and check Box Finder Extension. Or, you can refresh by force-quitting Finder and then re-starting it.
- When opening Excel files, a limit of 256 characters applies to the entire file path.
- If you rename a file or folder by changing only a letter's case and nothing else, Drive returns the error "...is already taken. Please choose a different name."
- When uploading a file or folder to Drive, a trailing space after the file name or folder name causes Error code -50. To resolve the error, remove the trailing space.