Insights is an administrator dashboard that provides a comprehensive view of your organization’s Box usage, storage, and deployment statistics.
This gives you a fast, simple way to understand how your people are using Box, which should help you more efficiently manage Box usage in your organization. For example:
- See where Box is accessed globally, so you can deal with unauthorized logins and ensure regional deployments are active
- See which Box integrations are being used, so you know which tools are being adopted for which business processes.
Other questions you can quickly answer include:
- What is the trend of my user activities?
- Is usage growing?
- From which locations are people accessing Box?
- How much storage is being used?
- What are the most popular third-party applications?
Using the Insights Dashboard
To access your Insights dashboard, from the Admin Console, in the lefthand navigation, click Insights. The charts and graphs display automatically, giving you a quick visual of recent user activity, storage, and other helpful statistics. These charts and graphs include:
- Total storage
- User activity
- Most used third-party applications
- Geographic activity
- Hourly activity
Using these graphs to better manage your Box users
- Users tells you in real-time how many provisioned users there are, and how many available seats there still are for your Box license.
- Total Storage calculates in real-time how much content is stored in Box.
- Groups displays in real-time the number of departments and groups that are using Box.
User Activity gives you detailed statistics around how your people are using the content they access. For example:
- To see how many people used Box at any given time, move your pointer anywhere along the graph.
- To change the date range of this graph, click the Last Days down arrow and select 30, 60, or 90 days.
- To see user activity in more granular fashion, click the All Activity down arrow, and choose from:
- When you select one activity, the graph displays just that activity. To configure the graph to display two or more activities, click Add. Then click Select Activity and click the next activity you want to see. Repeat this process to see a third activity, and so on.
- To delete an activity from the graph, click the down arrow next to that activity and then click Remove.
- To see additional information about user activities, click View More. This enables you to see details of user activity such as user names, actions, file names, dates, and times over a span of 90 days.
- To see the same additional information for a particular day, click View Daily Report.
Geographic Activity shows you where your users are by highlighting locations from which they did any of the following on content in your account:
- This data includes both managed and external users.
- Some third-party applications may log events as occurring at their server locations rather
than at the user's location.
Hourly Activity gives you a global view of hourly activity in the past seven days, 24 hours a day. To see the total number of users in any given hour, hover over a circle.
To download a Geographic Activity report to your Box Reports folder, in the Geographic Activity window click the download arrow. This report combines a record of user activities, IP addresses, and locations.