Business, Business Plus, and Enterprise admins can monitor activity and view data about their Box accounts, the content owned by their accounts, and user activity within their accounts by generating reports in the Admin Console. Reports can be generated on-demand for any specified time period and these reports can go back as far as 7 years, or as long as you have an account tariff with reporting access.
Both admins and co-admins can run and filter reports, depending on permission settings:
- The primary admin can run reports and filter by any group or user type (managed, unmanaged, admin, co-admin).
- Any co-admin who has permission to Run new reports and access existing reports (marked in orange below) can run the usage logs that are date bound (without selecting a user or group).
- A co-admin who has permission to Run new reports and access existing reports (marked in orange below) and permission to Manage groups (marked in green below) can run a usage log by groups.
- A co-admin who has reporting permissions can run a usage log by user.
The basic procedure to run reports:
- Go to Admin Console > Reports.
- Click the Create Report tab.
- Click Run or Set Filters for any report. Set Filters will allow you to decide what data gets output to the report. See the topic for each report type (links below) for details.
Some reports, such as Legal Holds and Retention, are not run from Reports. Click View to be taken directly to the area of the Admin Console from which these reports can be run.
- In the Run [Report Name] dialog box, enter any report constraints and set a start and end date for the report data, if available.
- Optionally save the report configuration, schedule the report to be run regularly, or subscribe users to the report.
- Click Run.
Reports are uploaded to the Box Reports folder in your Box instance. Depending on the type of report, the report file may be directly in that folder or in a sub-folder.
Report Configuration Capabilities
With some report types, you can choose the data columns in the report, save the report configuration, schedule the report, or subscribe to the report. The following table shows which report types have these capabilities. You can also click on the report type for details about differences in running any report, the filters you can define to configure any report, and the data columns output to a report.
|Report Type||Choose Data Columns||Save Configuration||Schedule||Subscribe|
|Box Sign Report||✅||✅||✅|
|Folders and Files Report||✅||✅||✅||✅|
|Geographic Activity Report|
|Legal Holds Report|
|Outbound Collaboration Report|
|Platform Activity Report|
|Security Logs Report|
|Shared Links Report||✅||✅||✅||✅|
|User Activity Report||✅||✅||✅|
|User Details Report||✅||✅||✅||✅|
|User Statistics Report||✅||✅||✅||✅|