As of January 2019, we have stopped supporting Google Docs v1 of the integration. We strongly recommend upgrading to the new and improved Box for G Suite integration. If you are implementing the Box for G Suite integration for the first time, please begin with the new and improved Box for G Suite integration.
If you have been using an earlier version (Google Docs v1) of the Box for G Suite integration
How can I tell if I'm on v1 or v2?
Google Docs v1
Box for G Suite (v2)
You are not required to upgrade your Box for G Suite integration. But there are several significant improvements in the revised integration that make it worthwhile:
- The earlier Google Docs v1 integration created a copy of your file in Google Drive, which was confusing. Now, Box for G Suite bypasses Google Drive so you can create, edit, and save Google documents all from within Box, without any dependency on or presence in Google Drive.
- You can now work with Slides as well as Docs and Sheets. Slides was unavailable in the earlier integration.
- If you use a paid Box account you can connect it only to a paid enterprise Gmail account. If you use a free Box account you can connect it only to a free Gmail account. This is a significant security enhancement.
Upgrading is a simple and straightforward process. See the Related Links section below for more information, including how to install the new integration.
Do I need to uninstall the previous integration, Google Docs v1?
No, you do not need to uninstall the previous Google Docs v1 integration. When you install and enable the new Box for G Suite integration, it supersedes any installs of the previous integration.
Must I migrate my Google Docs v1 files to be able to use them with the new Box for G Suite integration?
If your Google docs files are stored in Box, there is no need for any migration. You can start using the Box for G Suite integration right away -- as soon as it's turned on -- with any existing Google files you have in Box.
How do I move content from G Drive into Box?
You can now migrate content from G Drive to Box via our Box Shuttle services. Please visit the Box Shuttle Web site for more information.
How do I disable Box for G Suite V1?
- In the left sidebar of the Admin Console window, click Apps.
- In the top of the window, click Box Apps & Integrations.
- Scroll to the Individual Application Controls section.
- In Search for an app, type "Google Docs" then press the Enter key.
- Look for "Google Docs" as seen here. You may find it on the second or third page of applications.
- Click Disabled. Now your account holders will not see the option to edit G Suite files.
- Introducing Box for G Suite
- Enabling the Box for G Suite Integration for your Enterprise
- Using Box for G Suite
- Understanding Security and Compliance with Box for G Suite
- Using Box Drive for G Suite
- Box also connects with the other two major editing suites: