Important -- Discontinuation of Support for Earlier Integration
We are discontinuing the Google Docs v1 of the Box for Google Workspace integration in August, 2021. At that time, we will upgrade all customers automatically to the current Box for Google Workspace integration, except for those who have explicitly blocked it.
If you wish, you can upgrade to the current Box for Google Workspace integration now.
For those of you who store Google Docs files in Box, your transition to the Box for Google Workspace integration works seamlessly with any existing Google files you have in Box. For existing documents in Google Drive, you can copy individual files directly into the Box folder of your choice. Save your G Drive files directly into Box.
You can also engage Box Shuttle services to migrate content in bulk.
If you are implementing this integration for the first time, please begin with the current Box for Google Workspace integration.
If you have been using an earlier version (Google Docs v1) of the Box for Google Workspace integration
How can I tell if I'm on v1 or v2?
Google Docs v1
Box for Google Workspace (v2)
You are not required to upgrade your Box for Google Workspace integration. But there are several significant improvements in the revised integration that make it worthwhile:
- The earlier Google Docs v1 integration created a copy of your file in Google Drive, which was confusing. Now, Box for Google Workspace bypasses Google Drive so you can create, edit, and save Google documents all from within Box, without any dependency on or presence in Google Drive.
- You can work with Slides as well as Docs and Sheets. Slides was unavailable in the earlier integration.
- If you use a paid Box account you can connect it only to a paid enterprise Gmail account. If you use a free Box account you can connect it only to a free Gmail account. This is a significant security enhancement.
Upgrading is a simple and straightforward process. See how to install the new integration.
Do I need to uninstall the previous integration, Google Docs v1?
No, you do not need to uninstall the previous Google Docs v1 integration. When you install and enable the new Box for Google Workspace integration, it supersedes any installs of the previous integration.
Must I migrate my Google Docs v1 files to be able to use them with the new Box for Google Workspace integration?
If your Google docs files are stored in Box, there is no need for any migration. You can start using the Box for Google Workspace integration right away -- as soon as it's turned on -- with any existing Google files you have in Box.
How do I move content from G Drive into Box?
You can now copy individual files directly into the Box folder of your choice, to securely store them. Details on saving G Drive files directly into Box.
How do I disable Box for G Suite V1?
- In the left sidebar of the Admin Console window, click Apps.
- In the top of the window, click Box Apps & Integrations.
- Scroll to the Individual Application Controls section.
- In Search for an app, type "Google Docs" then press the Enter key.
- Look for "Google Docs" as seen here. You may find it on the second or third page of applications.
- Click Disabled. Now your account holders will not see the option to edit Google Docs, Sheets, or Slides files.