You must have a Google Workspace enterprise account to use the new integration. Also, you must be logged into both your Box account and your Google account.
- Open Box Drive. Note that Google editor files display with Google icons in Drive.
- Browse or search for the file you want.
- Double-click the file you want. It opens in the corresponding Google editor application.
- To search for your file, type the file name in the Box Drive search box, and select it from the search results.
- Work on the file as you normally would. The Google editor app saves the file back to Box automatically.
- To ensure you’ve saved the latest iteration, return to Box Drive when you’re done with the file. The file displays in Drive with a revised timestamp indicating the latest save. (There may be a lag of a few minutes.)
- if you open a .gdoc file from within Google Drive, the document saves to Google Drive, not Box Drive.
- if you open a .gdoc file from within Box Drive, the document saves to Box Drive, not Google Drive
- if you open a .docx file from within Google Drive, the document saves to Google Drive, not Box Drive.
To save a new Google Docs, Sheets, or Slides file into Box (and display it in Box Drive), you must use the Box Web application to create the Google editor file. To do this, in Box go to File > New and click the file type you want. If you use the Google editor application to create a new file, that file automatically saves to Google and displays in Google Drive.
- Box can only maintain its robust content security on files stored in Box Drive
- Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides files contain just a URL, which is not same as the actual file content uploaded on Box.
Can you perform this action on Google editor files...
...in Box Drive for Google Workspace?
|MOVE into Box Drive||NO||
You get an error message indicating Google documents cannot be moved into Box Drive.
|MOVE within Box Drive||YES||
You get an error message only if you lack permission to move the file.
|MOVE out of Box Drive||NO||If you move a Google editor file out of Box Drive, you are essentially moving just a shortcut –not the actual file.|
|COPY into Box Drive||NO||
You get an error message indicating Google documents cannot be copied into Box Drive.
|COPY within Box Drive||NO||
The Google editor file is essentially just a shortcut, so you wouldn’t be copying the actual file.
|COPY out of Box Drive||NO||If you copy a Google editor file out of Box Drive, you are essentially copying just the shortcut – not the actual file.|
|DELETE from Box Drive||YES||The file deletes as normal, and you can recover it from the trash later if you need.|
- If your admin has not opted in, the system prompts you to contact your admin to enable the Box Drive for Google Workspace integration.
- If your admin has opted in but you do not have a corresponding Google account, the system prompts you to log into Google.
- If your admin has opted in and you have a valid Google account, you can go ahead and begin working on folder contents.