Run a User Details report to view a range of data about every user in your organization (name, emails, groups, collaboration permissions, and so on). This includes identifying whether and how many of the users in your organization are unmanaged.
Managed users, of course, are your “official” Box users – people with licensed Box accounts that belong to your enterprise, and who are subject to your organization’s security and compliance policies. Unmanaged users, however, use unpaid personal Box accounts to collaborate on your company-owned content. Although they are within your organization’s managed domain, they do not belong to your Box enterprise; their Box accounts are unlicensed. Most important, unmanaged users increase your security and compliance risk because their accounts are not constrained by your enterprise's Box security policies. With the help of the User Details report, you can identify your unmanaged users and close this security gap by inviting them en masse to become managed users.
Export the User Details report to a .csv file that lists users by last name in alphabetical order. However, you can sort and filter the report however you like.
Only Admins and Co-admins can run a User Details report. Group Admins cannot run this report.
To run the User Details report:
- From the Admin Console, go to Reports > Create Report.
- Click the down arrowhead () next to the User Details report.
- Click Set Filters. The Run User Details Report window opens, which is where you set the report filters. See the User Details Report Filters section in Report Filters for more information.
- If the User Type box is displayed, in the User Type box click the down arrow and then click the group of users you wish to see. (If the User Type box is not displayed, please contact Product Support.) In the User Type box, choose from:
- Managed (the default). Admins and co-admins. are labeled separately, but both are also managed users.
- Click Run. Box downloads the list you want in a .csv format, in your default Reports folder.
- Unless you have not designated a different folder, you can find the Box default Reports folder by navigating to All Files > Box Reports.
The User Details report provides the following for each user:
- secondary emails
- storage (limit)
- restricted external collaboration (enabled/disabled)
- status: whether the user is active or inactive
- storage used
- last password change
- last login
- user type (managed/unmanaged/admin/co-admin)
- managed user permissions
- co-admin permission
- If you select the Unmanaged Users type, the report returns values only for 3 columns:
- User Type
- The User Details report does not specifically call out external users. External users don’t belong to your enterprise (that is, they are not employees or in-house contractors) but do collaborate on content owned by managed users. External users could be either managed or unmanaged.
After you identify your unmanaged users, it is a simple task to convert them to managed users. Then after you do that, you may wish to remove any unwanted domains to which any unmanaged users belonged. Converting unmanaged users and removing unwanted domains.
You can also get a user report by navigating to Users & Groups > Managed Users tab and clicking Export Users. However, we recommend generating this and all other reports from the Reports page (Admin Console > Reports > Create Report).