A User Statistics report gives you a breakdown of your managed users, groups, and external users, showing how many actions they have made in Box over a given period of time. You must define filters for the User Statistics report before you can run it.
User Statistics Report Details
- File format: comma-separated value (.csv) file
Folder name format (each report run is placed in its own folder):
User Statistics run on YYYY-MM-DD HH-MM-SS
- Filename and folder name time zone: the local date and time of the admin who ran the report or who set up the report schedule.
- You may see an "Anonymous" user on the User Statistics report which shows when anyone who wasn't logged into Box took an action on a Box item. This can occur for various reasons:
- Shared Links: Users do not need to be logged into Box to access a shared link. Thus you may see previews, uploads, and downloads by "Anonymous". This typically relates to shared link activity.
- Email Upload: Users do not need to be logged into Box to upload via email. As a result, you may see "Anonymous" making many uploads.
- Embed Widget: Users do not need to be logged into Box to preview an embed widget on a website. Thus, you may see "Anonymous" previews.
- API integration: you may see other "Anonymous" actions if you have an API integration that performs actions in your account.
- When uploads occur via File Request you may see the folder owner as the name of the uploader (as it is technically an anonymous uploader). To identify uploads via a file request, navigate to User Activity Report > File Management > Uploaded and click View. Then, under Details, filter by Service = File Request.
- If you are curious for more details around an "Anonymous" action, run a User Activity Report for that action type and select the same date range.
User Statistics Report Columns
The User Statistics reports contains the following data about user activity. You can select which data columns appear in the report. All columns are selected by default, and the columns marked with an asterisk and grayed out in the dialog box are required. And at least one of Logins, Failed Logins, Uploads, Downloads, Previews, Edits, and Deletes (user actions captured in the report) must be selected.
|User's Name||The name of the user, from the value in the Name field in User Account Details.|
|User's Email||The email address of the user, from the value in the Email field in User Account Details.|
|Logins||The number of times the user has logged in to Box during the time period encompassed by the report.|
|Failed Logins||The number of times the user has attempted a login to Box and failed during the time period encompassed by the report.|
|Uploads||The number of times the user has uploaded a file to Box during the time period encompassed by the report.|
|Downloads||The number of times the user has downloaded a file from Box during the time period encompassed by the report.|
|Previews||The number of times the user has previewed a file in Box during the time period encompassed by the report.|
|Edits||The number of times the user has edited a file in Box during the time period encompassed by the report.|
|Deletes||The number of times the user has deleted a file from Box during the time period encompassed by the report.|
User Statistics Report Filters
The User Statistics report contains user activity summarized for selected users or groups.
|Users or Groups||Enter one or more names of managed users or of user groups to limit the User Statistics report to details of those users.|
Allows you to limit the report to only user actions within the defined time period. Select from: