Because non-modifiable retention policies are designed to meet regulatory requirements such as FINRA, their configuration cannot be changed once the polices are enabled. The exception is that folders, metadata, and classification labels can be added to retention policies. This enables customers who onboard their business users to Box in phases to add those business units to existing retention policies, rather than having to create separate policies with identical configuration. When you add a folder to a retention policy, all files in the folder and in its subfolders are subject to the retention policy. When adding folders to a retention policy, you cannot select a folder that currently has a retention policy whose retention span is equal to or greater than the retention policy you want to apply.
To add folders to a retention policy:
- Go to Admin Console > Governance.
- Click the Retention tab.
- Click the name of a retention policy that is applied to folders to view its details.
- Click Add Folders ().
- Search for and select one or more folders.
- Click Choose.
- Review the folders that you added. Once you save your changes to the policy, the added folders cannot be removed. (Existing folders have a lock icon () next to them and cannot be removed at all. Added folders can be removed before you save your changes. To do so, hover over the folder you want to remove and click Remove.)
- Click Save.
- In the Retention Policy Warning dialog box, click any necessary confirmation check boxes, and then click Start Policy.