Box has an app approval flow that streamlines the app authorization process. In one unified view, it clarifies where to authorize the apps you’re developing – in a linked developer sandbox or in the actual production environment. This clear path simplifies the collaboration between Admins and developers, reduces the risk of releasing an application into production prematurely, and shortens time to production for custom app development.
With the app approval flow, developers using a linked sandbox have two options:
- Request authorization in the current sandbox environment
- Request authorization directly in the parent enterprise
In this way you can build your apps safely in a sandbox, without touching the main production instance as you build. When you’re ready, you have a direct pathway to promote the app to production in the parent enterprise.
To use the App Approval Flow:
- From the Developer Console, navigate to My Apps and click the application you want to authorize.
- Navigate to the Authorization tab.
- Click Review and Submit. In the window that displays, review the information and then select to Submit the app to your Box Admin for authorization approval.
- If you’re developing from a sandbox, under Publish Location, select whether to publish in the parent enterprise or in the same sandbox.
- If you’re developing in the production instance of the parent enterprise, the Publish Location option does not display, as your app automatically publishes in the production environment.
When you successfully submit your app, a green update notification displays across the top of the page, signifying your app has been successfully submitted to your admin for authorization.
Admin Approval Process
The approval process for Box Admins is also simplified. When developers request an authorization, primary admins automatically receive an email directly in their inbox. The email includes:
- details about the app submitted for authorization
- the API key with instructions for copying it
- a Review App button.
Admins can click Review App to display an App Authorize dialog box. This box displays details about the app and a button for authorizing it.