External users are collaborators from outside your organization. From an administrative perspective, these are people who have been invited to collaborate on your company's content. External users can be granted the same collaborator access and sharing rights as managed users, but your control over the content they own and their security settings are limited.
To view and manage the external users associated with your account:
- Go to Admin Console > Users & Groups.
- Click the External Users tab.
- Double-click an external user name.
Once you are viewing the details page of an external user, you can:
- Change the folders or access level of folders by clicking Edit in the Folder Collaborations section to:
- Add folders that the external user can be collaborated into by clicking Select New Folder and then selecting one or more folders.
- Change the Access Level for any folder the external user is collaborated into by clicking the drop-down list and selecting a different collaborator permission.
- Remove collaborator access to a folder by selecting the folder check box (visible when you hover over the folder) and then clicking Remove Access.
- Delete the external user, which removes all collaborations to which the user has been invited, by clicking More Options (), and then clicking Delete External User.
- Click Make Managed User to convert the external user to a managed user. (This option will not be available for external users who are currently part of another Business or Enterprise account.)
Legacy Design Differences
- The Change User Settings (which is how to change access to collaborated folders), Remove User from All Items, and Invite to Join as Managed User commands are in a More Options () drop-down menu visible when you hover over the external user in the list.