When someone with your enterprise’s domain receives an invitation to collaborate in a folder and they don’t yet have a Box account, an account will be provisioned and that user will automatically become a managed user under your enterprise instance.
For example, email@example.com, who is already a managed user, invites colleague firstname.lastname@example.org, who doesn’t have an existing Box account, to a folder. Jane Doe’s Box account will automatically be created as a managed user under your Box instance. This applies to all email domains that are attributed to your Box instance.
When someone with your enterprise’s domain receives an invitation to collaborate in a file:
- If they are currently an unmanaged user, they will remain so.
- If they are not currently an unmanaged user, an account will be provisioned and that user will automatically become a managed user under your enterprise instance.
Why is this important?
For greater security, this ensures that all domain users are managed under your Box instance so that you have complete oversight and control over their content storage and collaboration in Box.
How to Identify these Users
You can easily identify the accounts created this way through the Admin Console reporting section.
- To the right of User Activity Report, click Create.
- In the list of Action Types, select the following:
- Users > Created new user
- Collaboration > Invited Collaborator
- John Doe invited Jane Doe to the folder
- Jane Doe or ('---') created Jane Doe’s Box account.
- You can setup your Box instance to receive daily summaries of Box accounts created via:
- Admin Console > Enterprise/Business Settings > Security tab > Account Creation Notification
- The daily summaries can help you identify if you need to run a report to see if a new user was created via 'Collaboration Invite'.
How to Manage Newly Created Users
- You can utilize the methods in "How to identify these Users" and continue to manage these occurrences on a case by case basis, removing duplicate users as necessary.
- Integrating SSO with your Box instance will allow you additional features to manage accounts created. Please review this page for more information.