From your Account Settings page, you can modify the default settings for your account, as well as change your account information or view log in activity. These settings apply only to your account, and can be overridden by the settings set by an enterprise account administrator.
- Shared Links
- Collaborating on Content
- Email Notifications
- General Emails and Notifications
- Uploading Content
- Home Page - Change the default home screen of your Box account, the first page you see when you log in.
- Files and Folders per Page - Modify the default number of files and folders displayed on a page.
- Time Zone - Change the time zone.
- Language - Change the language used in your account.
Login and Email Addresses
Here, you'll see your default email address, as well as any additional email addresses you've added to your account. In this section, you can update your email address. You can also link multiple email addresses to the same account in Box. Any collaboration invites that go to these secondary email addresses (or Email Aliases) will get funneled into your primary Box account. This also prevents anyone from creating a new Box account using that email address. Other users only see your primary email address and all notifications from Box continue to be sent to your primary address. You can also use the secondary email to log in if the single sign-on feature is configured to look for the secondary email instead of the primary email.
To add an email address:
- Click Add more emails.
- Enter your new email address and click the Save button.
- An email verification will be sent to the address you entered. Click the verification link in the email to confirm and add the alternate email to you account.
To make a secondary address your primary address, click Make Primary button. If you do not see this option, it's likely your enterprise has a feature enabled that prevents users from changing their primary email address. In that case, you need to reach out to your primary admin for assistance.
To remove an address, click Remove.
AuthenticationTo change your password, click Change Password.
What is 2-Step Verification?
Please see the article What is 2-step Verification? to learn about this feature.
Enable 2-Step Verification
To enable two-step verification for your account, follow these steps:
- Check the box under Extra Verification.
- Enter your mobile phone number.
- A six-digit numeric confirmation code will be texted to the phone number you enter.
- Enter this confirmation code in the appropriate box and click Confirm.
Once the code is confirmed, a pop-up will appear that indicates that the setup is complete. Each time you log in to Box from a different browser after enabling two-factor authentication, a code will be sent to your device so you can authorize this new access. Note: after the initial successful login, Box will remember the browser and you will not be prompted for 2FA if you need to log in again. Only clearing the browser's cache and cookies will re-prompt 2FA.
Here you'll find information about your Box account. Your account type, storage allocation, bandwith used, maximum file size, login address, and admin contact are displayed.
Here you can modify the default settings for shared links. These settings will only apply to shared links created on content you own.
- Shared Links Can Be Viewed By - Set who can access content you own via shared links. This will limit the access types you can set when sending a shared link.
- Allow Shared Links for - You can choose to only allow shared links for files, folders, or disable shared links altogether (for content you own).
- Default Permission - Set the access type that generated shared links will use by default. You can still change the access type when you generate a shared link.
- Link Viewers Can - Control the actions users can take after they access content via a shared link.
Collaborating on Content
By default, your account is set to automatically accept invitations to collaborate. Uncheck the box under Incoming Invitations if you'd like to have the opportunity to accept or reject collaboration invitations.
Check the boxes next to the actions for which you would like to receive email notifications. You can receive notifications for actions taken in both folders you own and folders in which you are a collaborator.
Email notifications can also be adjusted at enterprise-wide, account-wide, and folder specific levels.
- Enterprise-wide email notifications: When email notifications are applied in the "Admin Console", it will be the default for all newly created end users until the end user adjusts their settings.
- Account-wide email notifications: When email notifications are applied in the "Account Settings", it will be the default notification setting for all newly created folders in the account OR for folders that are set to "Use my default notification settings".
- End users in a Box instance can have different account wide settings by manually adjusting their email notification settings.
- Folder specific level email notifications: When email notifications are applied in the "Folder Settings", it will be the default email notifications for all files in the folder and subfolders. Please note that you cannot trigger email notifications to yourself for actions you triggered.
- Different users collaborating in a folder can set their own specific Folder level email notifications (if allowed by the folder owner).
Upon sign up for an Individual (free) Box account, the default Email Notification Settings are the following:
If you are not receiving email notifications as expected, please follow the steps in our Troubleshooting Issues with Email Notifications article.
General Emails and Notifications
In this section, you can control the emails you will receive from Box. You can choose to receive the following email:
- Login Activity: Get notified when your account is accessed from a new device.
Uploading Content (Box Accelerator)
Box Accelerator is a global data transfer network that improves the speed of your uploads. If you’re having issues with uploads, try turning this off. If your uploads seem slow, you may have a problem with your network or firewall. See Troubleshooting: Uploads for more information.
The login activity section of your Account Settings is useful for monitoring access to your Box account. You will see a list of all the applications, devices, and locations you've used to log in to Box.
Click the X next to a session to forget this mode of access. You can also click the Forget All button at the bottom of the page to forget all sessions. The next time someone tries to open this application or browser from your stolen device, they will be prompted to re-enter their Box login credentials.
In the profile tab of your Account Settings, you can update the information in your profile, including your name, profile picture, and contact information.
Edit your profile information by simply clicking into one of the text boxes. Modify the information you’d like to update in the appropriate fields and click Save Changes in the upper right hand corner when you are done.
To change your profile picture
- Click the Change button beside the picture
- Select the image you would like to use from the file browser
- Click Open.
If you would like to remove a picture, simply click the Remove button.
Viewing your Profile
You can view your profile page by clicking the arrow next to your name in the upper right-hand corner of your Box account and selecting View Profile from the menu.
The diagnostics tab is useful when you encounter a problem with Box. Run a Connection Diagnostics test to check the status of your connection to Box.
If you have filed a support ticket with Box, you may be asked to grant Box access to your account. You can do so by clicking the Grant Access button in the Access to your Account section. This will give Box Support access to your account for 5 calendar days. At the end of 5 days, access will automatically be revoked. You can manually revoke access at any time. To determine if you need to grant Box access to your account for support, please contact your administrator or customer success manager.