If you are encountering problems downloading files from your Box account, we recommend you try
- Updating your browser to the latest version
- Clearing your browser's cache
- Using Box with an alternate browser, computer or network
- Temporarily disabling any internet security/firewall programs to test whether they conflict with Box (note: you may need clearance/assistance from your organization’s IT department/helpdesk to do this)
- Disabling any plugins on your browser
Other things to keep in mind:
- Bulk download is dependent on the max file size upload limit for the Account type in total. See: Understand the Max File Size You Can Upload to Box.
- If your Enterprise's account has a 32 GB file size limit, and you perform a bulk download whose total file size is greater than 15 GB, you'll see the following message: "The selected item(s) exceed the download size limit". In this situation, Box recommends you download the file(s) individually. If your Enterprise's account has a 32 GB file size limit:
- Bulk downloads from the Box browser WebApp allow up to 15 GB of total file size
- Non-bulk (individual file) downloads allow up to 32 GB
- API bulk downloads allow up to 32 GB
- Files will download into the default location determined by your browser (ex. Downloads folder)
- Downloaded files from Firefox will download in Read Only mode if the download option "Open In" is selected. If you would like to edit the downloaded file, please choose the Save As option when downloading the file.
- If the option to download a file within a collaborative folder is not available to you in Box, then you may not have the proper Access Level for that collaborative folder to download the file. Please check your access level on the collaborative folder. If you are a Previewer, Uploader or Previewer-Uploader on the folder, you would not be able to download files in this folder.
- Files and Folders that are Watermarked may not be able to be downloaded normally by some collaborators. Please refer to Watermarking Files for expected behavior for each collaboration permission level on Watermarked content.
- When you download a folder from Box, the folder will download to your computer as a zipped file. You will have to unzip the folder once it has successfully downloaded to your computer. Please note that empty subfolders will be ignored and not included in the zip file.
- Box measures bandwidth usage based on downloads from open access shared links. All downloads from any public shared link count towards the bandwidth limit. Depending on the size of the files being shared and the frequency of downloads, you can reach this limit quite quickly based on the file format (GIF, FLV, MP3, and so forth). Click here for more info.
If you still have problems downloading a file after running through these steps, please run a connection diagnostics test from within your Box account. Once you have done this, please submit a support ticket and let us know you have run a connection diagnostics test.