When using Box Edit, there are circumstances that will cause the option to open a file with Box Edit to be unavailable, but only for certain file types. For example, you may see the option to open a .docx file with Microsoft Word with Box Edit, but when attempting with .xlsx files, Box Edit is not available. You will not have the option to use Box Edit in the Open menu in Preview.
Windows computers with Box Edit installed.
This problem occurs when the file type that is not working, for example .xlsx, is not associated with a program in the Control Panel. When Box Edit checks which program it should use to open the file, it does not receive a response. In order to avoid further confusion, we remove the option for Box Edit.
- On the affected computer, navigate to the "Default Apps" menu:
- Locate the file type that is not working in the list of file types.
- Reassociate the file type with the program you would like to use to edit the file.
- In Windows 10, click "Choose default apps by file type".
- Click "Save" when completed.
- Refresh the Box page and make sure Box Edit is now available.
By associating the file type with a program, Box Edit will receive a response on the "program + file type" check and will give you the option to open the file.