- This release is in Beta.
- Box AI for Documents available only for Enterprise Plus accounts.
When viewing a document in Box Preview, you can ask Box AI to summarize document content, search key points, and write outline drafts based on your document files. In turn, Box AI can save you time in analyzing your meeting notes, reports, and marketing assets, while giving you better insights on your documents.
Supported file types:
- Text documents
- For Box Notes files, visit Box AI for Notes
- Limited to text dense files
- Presentation slides
Using Box AI
To get started, select and open a file from the Box web app. From the preview page, click on the Box AI button from the Preview toolbar. Once open, type your question or request into the textbox and press enter or click the “Ask” button.
The response is generated in real time. If you want to stop the response, click on “Stop Response”. To clear the chat history, exit out of the document. Your chat history is refreshed when you reopen the document.
Guidelines for Box AI questions
Box AI pulls information only from the document you loaded in preview. If you ask any questions outside of the scope of the document, Box AI informs you that it cannot answer the question with the information provided. As you ask Box AI to analyze your document, consider these suggestions:
- Be as specific as possible. Use parameters, such as asking for numbered lists, brevity, and central themes or key points. For example:
- OK: list key points
- Better: Can you list the key points in a numbered list?
- OK: Summarize document
- Better: Please summarize this document and start the response with the conclusion first and then list the key points in order of times mentioned.
- OK: What’s the point of this document?
- Better: Can you briefly and succinctly outline only the most important points with a list?
- Stay within the scope of the document.
- Focus on text based responses only.
If you are unable to use Box AI, check the following with your admin:
- Is Box AI enabled for your organization?
- Is Box AI for Documents enabled in your organization?
- Do you have the correct permission for the file?
For information on enabling Box AI as admin, visit Enterprise Settings: Box AI Tab (beta) – Box Support
- Questions on, or including these topics or commands, return mixed and sometimes inaccurate information:
- Calculations, table structures, and numbers
- Counting words or phrases
- Document metadata such as page number, authors, file size, word count, and collaborators
- Images, videos, charts, graphs, etc
- Following up on chat history from a previous question or answer is not supported
- This limitation includes questions or answers from a prior document session as well as the chat history is cleared after exiting a document preview
- Limited to 300 characters per question
- Text content size limit is 1MB, with larger files only processing the first 1MB of text
- Non-English languages may produce lower quality results
Box AI Principles
To view what Box’s policies and practices are surrounding using AI, visit The Box AI Principles | Box Blog.