The Apps section of the admin console enables you to
- control which applications your managed account holders are permitted to use, and
- manage custom apps in your enterprise.
If you disable an application on this page, account holders are unable to add the application to their Box accounts, and cannot use the application if the account holder previously installed it.
Box Apps & Integrations
In this section, Box enables you to control access to official Box apps and third-party apps.
To control access to Box apps and integrations:
Official Box Apps
In this section, Box enables you to quickly locate and disable applications of the following categories:
- Desktop Apps
- Android Apps
- iOS Apps
- Server Apps
- Mobile Web and Accessibility apps.
By default, official Box apps are enabled, and we do not recommend you disable them.
To disable an official Box app:
- Click the category of app you want to disable. Box displays a list of Box apps.
- Next to the specific app, click the slider button.
We don't recommend you disable Box applications. If you disable all of the Box Mobile Apps, none of the Box Mobile admin functions will be available to you.
Box Drive - Mark for Offline
Specify whether to enable this feature throughout your organization (the default), or just for certain individuals, or whether to disable it altogether.
Recommended apps are curated third-party applications available in Box Preview. Examples of using third-party apps include sharing a file in Slack or Facebook Workplace, sending it via Outlook or Gmail, and sending it for signature via DocuSign.
When you enable Recommended Apps, Box makes these available in the Preview window when your account holders view files. To learn more, be sure to read our article about using recommended apps.
Global App Settings
In this section, you manage your account holders's access to third-party apps available in the Box app store.
To disable third party apps published to the Box app store:
- Check Disable published third party apps by default.
Disabling all published applications disables all third-party published integrations, except those that you explicitly select in Individual Application Controls to add by default. For example, if in Individual Application Controls you mark Slack as added by default, and then select Disable published third party apps by default, Slack remains added by default. To disable Slack, in the Individual Application Controls section you must manually disable Slack.
You do not need to allowlist published applications. If you try to allowlist a published application, Box displays an error message. To add a published application, go to the Box App Gallery, click the title of the app you want to add, and then follow the instructions.
To disable any application that does not use an SSL connection:
- Check Require web app integrations to use secure connections (SSL). Checking this option requires all web app integrations to use secure connections.
After you finish updating your Global Apps Settings, in the top-right corner of the Apps tab's window click Save.
In this section, Box enables you to choose which applications to use for viewing Word, PowerPoint, and Excel Office files.
Individual Application Controls
In this section, Box enables you to search for third party apps and filter your searches, as well as enable, disable, and configure third-party apps.
To search for a third-party app:
- Click in Search for an app.
- Type the name of the app and press the Enter key. Box displays a list of app names matching what you typed.
To filter your search for a third-party app:
- In the top-right corner of the Individual Application Controls section, click Filter. Box displays the filter menu.
- Check the filter options you want.
- In the bottom-right corner of the filter window, click Apply.
To enable a third-party app:
- Next to the app's name, click the app's status. Box displays the status drop-down menu.
- In the drop-down window:
- To add the app to every account, select Added by Default.
- To enable people to add the app if they choose, select Available.
To disable a third-party app:
- Next to the app's name click its status and select Disabled.
To add additional configurations to a third-party app:
- Hover over the app's row. Box displays a Configure button.
- Click Configure. Box displays the Configure window.
- Under Status, select the desired status.
- If the Additional Configurations section is available, select the settings you want to enable.
- At the bottom-right corner of the window, click Save.
Manage Custom Apps
In this section, Box enables you to manage customized applications in your deployment. Here you can:
- authorize new custom apps,
- disable third-party apps by default,
- disable unpublished apps by default,
- require admin approval for apps seeking transactional access.
To manage custom apps: