Organizations may buy multiple Box instances or go through acquisitions, mergers or divestitures. We've created a process to help Box Admins migrate users and instances and consolidate them under a single Box instance.
Before you begin
Please consider the following before submitting your request:
- All content owned by the migrated users will be migrated with them.
- All collaboration relationships (i.e., user access to a folder owned by another party) will be maintained.
- Any customized shared links migrated from a Source enterprise to the Target enterprise will not be accessible following the migration.
- For each user who owns a combined 50,000 or more files and folders, manual effort may be required by a Box employee, user or administrator to transfer ownership of a subset of these files to another user in advance of the migration.
- Unique Admin Console settings do not transfer over. Groups can be transferred over if desired.
- Enterprise Reporting data does not migrate as part of an enterprise merge. If you'd like any reporting on users in a Source enterprise, you will need to run a User Activity report prior to the merge.
- Users from a Source enterprise that are over the Target enterprise's individual storage limit will be unable to be merged until the storage discrepancy is addressed.
Will I need Box Consulting?
Box Support may be all you need for fairly straightforward migrations. However, a paid Box Consulting package could be required depending on the complexity and specific needs of the enterprise. Some common examples that would require Box Consulting include:
- If SSO providers change from a Source enterprise to the Target enterprise (i.e Azure to Okta).
- If any third party integrations, such as Salesforce or Netsuite, that are deployed in a Source enterprise that you would like to maintain in the Target enterprise after the merge.
- If a Source enterprise has custom applications built and would like to transfer over the application to the Target enterprise after the merge has been completed.
- If a Source enterprise has deployed retention policies on content as part of their Governance package.
- Any request to complete the merge outside of our standard support business hours (Premier Services customers excluded).
When you are ready, request a user migration by submitting a Service Request ticket.