Organizations may buy multiple Box instances or go through acquisitions, mergers or divestitures. We've created a process to help Box Admins migrate users and instances and consolidate them under a single Box instance.
Before you begin
Please consider the following before submitting your request:
- All content owned by the migrated users will be migrated with them.
- All collaboration relationships (user access to a folder owned by another party) will be maintained, except:
- If an organization has external collaboration restriction enabled and incoming users have any existing external collaborations with members of a restricted domain, those external collaborations will be removed when the users are migrated into the organization.
- Any customized shared links migrated from a Source enterprise to the Target enterprise will not be accessible following the migration.
- For each user who owns a combined 50,000 or more files and folders, manual effort may be required by a Box employee, user or administrator to transfer ownership of a subset of these files to another user in advance of the migration.
- Unique Admin Console settings do not transfer over. Groups can be transferred over if desired.
- Enterprise Reporting data does not migrate as part of an enterprise merge. If you'd like any reporting on users in a Source enterprise, you will need to run a User Activity report prior to the merge.
- Users from a Source enterprise that are over the Target enterprise's individual storage limit will be unable to be merged until the storage discrepancy is addressed.
Migrating Users When External Collaboration Restriction is Enabled
The external collaboration restriction setting for an organization allows admins to:
- Limit external collaborations to only define domains
- Allow external collaborations to specific users as exceptions to the domains where you limit external collaboration
When you migrate users into an organization with external collaboration restriction enabled, if any users have existing external collaborations with members of a restricted domain, those collaborations will be removed when the users get migrated in.
To retain any existing collaboration, edit the external collaboration restriction setting before you begin migrating users so that it does not include domains of external collaborators of any users you migrate in.
Will I need Box Consulting?
Box Support may be all you need for fairly straightforward migrations. However, a paid Box Consulting package could be required depending on the complexity and specific needs of the enterprise. Some common examples that would require Box Consulting include:
- If SSO providers change from a Source enterprise to the Target enterprise (i.e Azure to Okta).
- If any third party integrations, such as Salesforce or Netsuite, that are deployed in a Source enterprise that you would like to maintain in the Target enterprise after the merge.
- If a Source enterprise has custom applications built and would like to transfer over the application to the Target enterprise after the merge has been completed.
- If a Source enterprise has deployed retention policies on content as part of their Governance package.
- Any request to complete the merge outside of our standard support business hours (Premier Services customers excluded).
When you are ready, request a user migration by submitting a Service Request ticket.